Garange

My Latest Gun Holster With Magazine Pocket

post-15195-073406500 1303475103_thumb.jp

Wanted to share a photo of my latest gun holster built for a Smith & Wesson .40 caliber with a Crimson Trace Laser. Wondering what others think about it. All comments welcome.

Thanks.

Gary (Betz Gunleather)

Edited by Garange

Nice job - just wondering if it is lined. I am going to make a holster and want to use an inlay (or concho like you) and thought maybe it should be lined. If so, what type of fabric /liner did you use? Thanks.

Nice job - just wondering if it is lined. I am going to make a holster and want to use an inlay (or concho like you) and thought maybe it should be lined. If so, what type of fabric /liner did you use? Thanks.

The holster is not lined. Never felt the need yet if using quality leather. May do it some day just to see the difference. Thanks for the comment.

Gary

Gary - did you attach the concho at the very end? Or prior to attaching the reinforcement piece to the body? I assume that's what prompted Wishful's question. If you installed it at the very end, it's likely the screw post could scratch the firearm. I'm assuming you attached it prior to sewing on the reinforcement to prevent that. Nice looking holster!

Gary - did you attach the concho at the very end? Or prior to attaching the reinforcement piece to the body? I assume that's what prompted Wishful's question. If you installed it at the very end, it's likely the screw post could scratch the firearm. I'm assuming you attached it prior to sewing on the reinforcement to prevent that. Nice looking holster!

Hello Adam, I guess that's probably why Wishful asked if it was lined. I'm a little slow today! Great question! Yes the concho was installed and the leather dyed on the reinforcement piece before it was sewn onto the body of the holster. That way of course the screw head was between the two pieces of leather and wouldn't have any contact with the finish of the gun itself. Thanks for the compliment.

Gary

Hello Adam, I guess that's probably why Wishful asked if it was lined. I'm a little slow today! Great question! Yes the concho was installed and the leather dyed on the reinforcement piece before it was sewn onto the body of the holster. That way of course the screw head was between the two pieces of leather and wouldn't have any contact with the finish of the gun itself. Thanks for the compliment.

Gary

Yes thank you, that was what I was trying to ask. ; )

Excellent work! Looks very sharp. One issue comes to mind on the design. Since the holster is being carried on the right hip, how convenient is the placement of a spare magazine on the right side? Think about how one reloads a semi-auto pistol.....

Edited by Go2Tex

Excellent work! Looks very sharp. One issue comes to mind on the design. Since the holster is being carried on the right hip, how convenient is the placement of a spare magazine on the right side? Think about how one reloads a semi-auto pistol.....

Thanks for the comments. Good question on the magazine pocket. This is actually my forth request to build a holster with a combined magazine pocket. I don't wear that style myself but with the sharp cant of the pocket it is pretty easy to reach across and remove with the left hand similar to a cross-draw holster. May take a fraction of a second longer than if worn on the left side. I think most of it is the convenience of being combined together.

Gary

Thanks for the comments. Good question on the magazine pocket. This is actually my forth request to build a holster with a combined magazine pocket. I don't wear that style myself but with the sharp cant of the pocket it is pretty easy to reach across and remove with the left hand similar to a cross-draw holster. May take a fraction of a second longer than if worn on the left side. I think most of it is the convenience of being combined together.

Gary

If worn just behind the point of the hip, where I would wear a concealed holster, it would take a gorrilla length arm and/or a much smaller belly to reach around with the left hand and grab that magazine. But, to each his own....

It looks really nice.

quote name='Go2Tex' timestamp='1303581296' post='196678']

If worn just behind the point of the hip, where I would wear a concealed holster, it would take a gorrilla length arm and/or a much smaller belly to reach around with the left hand and grab that magazine. But, to each his own....

It looks really nice.

:cheers:

Thank you...