Flame_slant.JPG

Jonathans_bags.JPG

Vinnie__s_bags3.JPG

post-6120-1205721839_thumb.jpg

post-6120-1205721882_thumb.jpg

post-6120-1205721913_thumb.jpg

post-6120-1205721972_thumb.jpg

Very nice bags, Ian!

The red one will look slick on the right bike!

Tom

Thanks Tom, they are burgundy latigo - the color was actually nicer in person

Shirley, was checking out your site. Awesome work. The sheridan tooled seats are really beautiful. I noticed how similar our spiderweb seats are. Great minds think alike :)

Ian, you do nice work. What weight leather do you use for your bags. I am doing a set similar to your set on the far right with 1/2" spots.

A few sets of bags I made last summer

Ian, you do nice work. What weight leather do you use for your bags. I am doing a set similar to your set on the far right with 1/2" spots.

Hi Ryan, The black bags are all 10/11oz bridle from Hermann

Nice bags!!!!

I am sure there were a lot of satisfied riders!

Shirley, was checking out your site. Awesome work. The sheridan tooled seats are really beautiful. I noticed how similar our spiderweb seats are. Great minds think alike :)

Ian,

I like your seat better! I like symmetry and the customer wanted it to be irregular, so my seat didn't sit well with me. It went against the grain for me. I love the spider on yours.

Shirley

Do you use leather for the backs as well?

Bill

Bill, I have used leather (the backs of the burgundy bags are leather) The backs of the other ones are rubber - actually I cut them from the largest size of poundo boards. Now that they've changed the type of rubber they use, I'm not sure what I'll do once my supply runs out. I've been to quite a few rubber suppliers and they can't identify what kind of rubber that is. I have also used ABS plastic, but I don't like the way it stitches. One reason I don't use leather much is that it takes a full side of leather to make a set of bags, and I hate cutting into a second side to put on the back. Really cuts into the profit margin.

If anyone has a source for hard rubber about 1/8 - 3/16 thick, I'd love to know it.

Ian, I can't link a direct page, but go to www.mcmaster.com and enter rubber sheet into the search window. They've got all kinds, maybe what you want. Hope this helps.

Tim

hello ian

you do very good and clean work for an lucky harleydriver

greetz

mfm

Ian,

Awesome bags I have recently started my first set of bags for my personal Honda VTX1300. I am happy with my results so far, however I am not 100% sold on the pattern I have. I am using the Tandy motorcycle saddlebag pack. I do like the bags but a more up to date look would be cool. At any rate I was wondering where you got your patterns? Did you create them yourself? or do you know something I don't.

Thanks in advance and again very nice work

Dunc

Glad to see these bags up again. They sure are among the best I've seen. You should be proud Ian.

How you stitched that heavy leather inside out is amazing.

At any rate I was wondering where you got your patterns? Did you create them yourself? or do you know something I don't.

Thanks in advance and again very nice work

Dunc

Thanks Dunc, It is quite easy to make a pattern for bags. Using poster board, cut the shape you want for the front - straight or slant. The back, of course is the same. You can make the gusset any width you like - I'm guessing 6 1/2 inches would look right on your bike. Making the flap for a slant takes a little measuring, but not difficult. If you're making throw-over bags, just lay a piece of poster board over the fender to see where to cut it to go under the seat.

Best thing is is do a carboard mock up to check your pattern and fit on the bike before you cut into your leather. I did a little tutorial on assembling the bag - look in my profile for it.

Do a search for 'saddlebags' - there are a lot of manufacturers you can get ideas from.

Good Luck

Ian

How you stitched that heavy leather inside out is amazing.

Dave, if you soak the leather intil it's as soft as it can get, you can invert the seam. Still takes some muscle to do it - that's 10/11oz Hemann Oak Bridle, which is soft to start with.

Thanks Dunc, It is quite easy to make a pattern for bags. Using poster board, cut the shape you want for the front - straight or slant. The back, of course is the same. You can make the gusset any width you like - I'm guessing 6 1/2 inches would look right on your bike. Making the flap for a slant takes a little measuring, but not difficult. If you're making throw-over bags, just lay a piece of poster board over the fender to see where to cut it to go under the seat.

Best thing is is do a carboard mock up to check your pattern and fit on the bike before you cut into your leather. I did a little tutorial on assembling the bag - look in my profile for it.

Do a search for 'saddlebags' - there are a lot of manufacturers you can get ideas from.

Good Luck

Ian

Thanks Ian great advice, just like working sheet metal.

Dunc

Thanks Tom, they are burgundy latigo - the color was actually nicer in person

Ian, is that burgundy latigo from Hermann Oak or elsewhere? Very nice color.

Ian, is that burgundy latigo from Hermann Oak or elsewhere? Very nice color.

Yup, that's HO burgundy Latigo

Ian

Bill, I have used leather (the backs of the burgundy bags are leather) The backs of the other ones are rubber - actually I cut them from the largest size of poundo boards. Now that they've changed the type of rubber they use, I'm not sure what I'll do once my supply runs out. I've been to quite a few rubber suppliers and they can't identify what kind of rubber that is. I have also used ABS plastic, but I don't like the way it stitches. One reason I don't use leather much is that it takes a full side of leather to make a set of bags, and I hate cutting into a second side to put on the back. Really cuts into the profit margin.

If anyone has a source for hard rubber about 1/8 - 3/16 thick, I'd love to know it.

Now that I've started using Tandy's poundo boards on top of my anvil for pounding out 2" logo blanks, I know what you mean about the quality of this rubber: too easy to cut through it.

I'm also looking for better rubber, so please let us know if you've found it.

Ed

Excellent work Ian,

Some very nice looking bags.

Note to self: ....I've gotta find time to do some bags....

David Theobald

Ian,

Would you say that the rubber Tandy was using didn't tear or puncture as easily as what they use now? I'd also like to find more puncture resistant rubber mats.

Ed