BigNick73

Noob questions about stitching

Ok so here's the deal. I was looking for a specific style holster the other day and having no luck I figured I'd make it myself. I found a box of 8oz scrap and a stitching awl on ebay. I got started and promptly broke the needles on the cheap awl. Now I'm wondering what tools do I need to get to do this right? I've looked up the various stitches and understand a lock stitch, saddle stitch etc..but not sure what size needles, awl etc.. I need for leather that thick or where to get it. Any suggestions?

Hi Nick, Welcome to Leatherworker.net...and your new OCD complex!

For stitching a holster like you're talking about, you'll need several things:

A good Awl. I use the Osbourne from Tandy (31218-01), though there are several to choose from. For thread, I like waxed linen, pick a color. Machine stitching will bypass both of these and probably use 277 on top and bottom, or same top with 207 on bottom. It's really up to who's doing it. I hand stitch everything so I use the linen. Tandy sells it and so does Hobby Lobby (jewelry making supplies). An 'overstitcher' is useful to lay out where the stitch holes will be, but more tediously, you can use a ruler, or a set of dividers (measure length of stitch line, divide by number of stitches per inch you want). Most folks stitch at 5, 6, or 7 stitches per inch. Anymore and the leather acts like the perforation between sheets of paper towels.

An often overlooked item is contact cement. If you don't mind the smell, Barge works very well, but if it isn't available to you, regular ol' Elmers Rubber Cement will work too. Use this to keep your edges lined up as you make the stitch holes. If you don't have the awl, you can use a 1/16 drill bit, but it won't look nearly as nice. Word of caution with the drill bit. Place the leather on a backer board to drill. Holding it by hand can and probably will lead to angled holes that don't match up. If appearance is important, consider getting a stitching groover. This cuts a small channel for the thread to lay in as you stitch, and helps prevent abrasion to the thread(s).

If you're making a Mexican loop holster, use a small round punch at the end of your slits to help keep the leather from tearing at the end of the cut. I hope this helps, and don't hesitate to ask more questions. There's LOADS of members willing to help out with problems and questions. Looking forward to seeing some of your work.

Mike

Edited by TwinOaks