Romey

Knife sharpening tutorial

Here is part one of the tutorial. My first post didn't take,Maybe can get a moderator to delete the first one. Anyway if anyone has comments or questions, fire away.

Updated: Go to post 16 for local links

Knife Sharpening part 1

Here is part one of the tutorial. My first post didnt take,Maybe can get a moderater to delete the first one. Anyway if anyone has comments or questions, fire away.

Very interesting.....I have a couple custom made automatic Dills and try not to use them for fear of nicking or dulling the blades. From your description, I think they would be hollow ground.

Dill.jpg

Dill1.jpg

post-644-1171631706_thumb.jpg

post-644-1171631728_thumb.jpg

I can’t tell in pictures what secondary edge your knife is, would need a straight on macro shot to tell via picture. Id like to add something, knives are meant to be used. And Skip is a perfect example due to fact that he worries about the edge that each style has an intended use. For everyday office type guy who just likes to do simple stuff like open letters or what not a gentleman’s folder like that is fine AND if used for what its intended for no harm would come of it ever. Would I quarter an elk with it, no likely not unless I had to but for less hard use it’s a fine knife to carry.

Point is this, don’t use a blade as a screw driver or a jack handle and expect it to still work like a blade. Proper tool for proper Job. With some TLC and you can USE that knife everyday for 2 or 3 generations or more and it will still do the job its intended for.

One thing I want to clear up is the articles are about the SECONDARY bevel (edge). The primary bevel is the sides of knife which again can also be Flat, Convex, or Hollow ground.

For instance if indeed skips blade is hollow ground on the edge, it looks like a flat grind on the primary as it looks to me like it is, so it would be known as a flat grind with hollow ground edge. Important to understand when using and especially sharpening.

Edited by Romey

For instance if indeed skips blade is hollow ground on the edge, it looks like a flat grind on the primary as it looks to me like it is, so it would be known as a flat grind with hollow ground edge. Important to understand when using and especially sharpening.

I just checked and my knife is hollow ground on the primary and flat ground on the edge.(see pic. below) Thanks for the lesson.

Dill2.jpg

post-644-1171656259_thumb.jpg

Edited by Justis Cases

Thank you, Romey. I love this stuff!

Your very welcome, if anyone has comments or questions feel free to speak up

Romey,

Very useful info, thanks for sharing. Lookin' forward to Part 2.

I wanted to add something, I sort of dismissed the chisel grind as unimportant to the article due to it being geared towards leather tools, I completely forgot about a really important tool with a chisel grind, most Skivers are a chisel ground blade unless of course one uses a head knife or something. And even the throw away blades can be worked up more to get a little extra life out of them. Should I touch on that in the article as well? If anyone has specific questions just ask.

Romey, I'll be glad to read and study any information you're willing to share. Thanks for spending your time at this.

Very nice tutorial,and details...just waiting for the next step.

Are you going to make a demo or a video ?Talking about the different stones?Cheap stones,Arkansas stones,Coticule Stones etc...I'm living in Belgium and we have here a small town called Vielsalm

http://www.ardennes-coticule.be/en

They produce sharpening stones that must be used with water,and only with...

I know that the arkansas stones are very good ( not still have one )but they are only use with honing oil?

(I like knives)

Anyway,i'm waiting for the next step.

Edited by northmount
Fixed url, website was reorganized/updated