Sign in to follow this  
CollinsMS

Getting better at knife sheath

Please give feedback I am trying to improve my skills. In my opinion this one came out not to bad. It is stitched with a machine.

CIMG0400.JPG

CIMG0404.JPG

CIMG0409.JPG

post-6238-1221407138_thumb.jpg

post-6238-1221407166_thumb.jpg

post-6238-1221407181_thumb.jpg

I like it very much. you might have beveled the INSIDE border of the basketweave and perhaps gone around it with a tool.

Also, deeper with the basketweave- the leather is plenty thick enough.

Finishing off the edges would have been nice too.

I really like the overall design given the shape of the handle.

good work

pete

I'm diggin that snap closure thing you did! I've never seen that before.

Nice job but I see the same items that Pete pointed out.

ArtS

not bad, but I agree with the others bevel the inside of the basketweave, and tool around the outside.I would also move you stitch line farther to the outside. The edges are something alot of collectors look at so they need to be finished as well as you can.While not necessary, I absolutely dislike seeing undyed and unfinished leather so I dye and finish all surfaces inside the sheath and inside the beltloop, JMHO.I would also lose the rivets as they are not needed. So just a few cosmetic things but your well on your way.Dave

Thanks for all the comments so far. I have to admit I am very new to a basket weave tool so yes I could have made a deeper impression. I actually did bevel the edge of the basket pattern but also it is not deep enough. The rivets, I would agree with you that they are not necessary,,,,, unless you have a teenage son. Put a razor sharp knife and sheath in their hands ((first mistake)) and you may find the top 3 rows of stitches sliced open when the knife is put back in the sheath held sideways versus a good strait shot in the sheath..... I would much rather put the edge back on the knife. If you have teenagers you know anything you tell them,,, your wrong. So telling him the proper way to handle the knife and sheath I got a ((I already know how to do it)). Now that I rambled the stitching was moved further over to be center of the rivets. I was about to lay out the stitching when I glanced over and in my box of parts was a bag of rivets. Maybe now my stitching will not get cut. Also the snap keeper came about because the same son sliced into a traditional wrap and snap around the handle keeper.

Other than stuff already said I would use Copper rivets if at all. They are softer metal and there would be less damage to the blade over time. I know nothing of sheaths other than what I have read and the one I made and the copper rivet thing is mentioned in a lot of writings. Overall it looks pretty good and the stitching is well done even with a machine.

Use a welt and it will protect the stitching. No need for any rivets.

I also agree with the others. Finished edges look more professional.

I would also crease the edge of the loop where there is no stitching.

I really liked the creative way you locked the knife in.

Thanks didn't consider copper rivets but that is true its a much softer metal. The stitching on smaller projects I combine hand a machine methods. I use a groover and then follow the grove line with the machine. It gives a more hand stitched look plus you get a stitch line recessed like hand stitching.

just so that you know(unless I didn't see the foto correctly) bevel the INSIDE of the basketweave TOWARDS the basketweave- not to the outside of the line

pete

Pete you are correct I did it backwards from what you are explaining. Guess I will have to do another. Darn. :)

MattW excuse my lack of knowledge but I am not sure what you mean but a welt. Everything I do is self trained.

A welt would be a leather filler between the back and the front pieces of the sheath. it protects the stitches from the blade and makes for a nice fit , Your blade should never contact the rivet post steel or copper.

I reckon if ya wet the leather more you will get a better impression with your stamping , and the carving will be deeper allowing the beveller to sit in the cut better ans not tend to bounce out . This I believe .

Yeah what Spiderdude said. You'll get into it more and more if you make more sheaths and the experiences from this is gonna be useful in the future. You have some good aspects of "secure thinking" wich in my book is A and O when it comes to design not only for safety reason but equally as much for constructional problems that will arise.

To foresee and question problems before a desing is layed out is tricky I think. I'm more the build and develop as you go type and often feel a lack of this way of thinking ahead.

Well done

Tom

Thanks Tom and Spider. Already working up new ideas from everyones input.