Sign in to follow this  
leatheroo

Punched hole ripped on seat

I was finishing the lacing on the reaper seat, i have about 3 inches to go when i heard a pop!!!! Damm, damm, damm..X#o(*&^%#@>?>'[!!!!, one of the holes has ripped through...never in all my years have i had a hole rip!!! there must have been a weakness in the leather...so what do i do now..the hole that ripped was on the bottom piece, not the top...the holes on either side seem to be stable as i have put alot of stress on them to test them.

Would you pull the whole thing apart and start again or should i just keep it as a display piece?

I would start again, the problem with keeping it as a display piece is that it would not be up to the standard of your normal work, so not a good advertisement. If anything goes wrong, it's usually in the finishing stages.

p.s. I love your masks, just AWESOME.

Yeah I would agree, Keep your very best for display, cut up anything that gets damaged and find a way to reuse it of possible.

If it's all tooled and stuff, you might be able to cut it in a random pattern and use it as a wall hanging display or something though.

Good luck in the second piece, and don't lose passion in it.

I don't know if this helps or hinders, but I've had a number of things like that happen at the worst times possible, or at least so I thought... Over the years, I've come to think that when those stupid things happen, it's a chance to show just how good you really are...... Of course, without seeing what you've got, I can't for sure say what I'd do, but I can say that I've seen Bo Riddle (our shop guy) rescue some things that I thought were completely hopeless. (i think he does it just to prove me wrong)

Best wishes! :)

Kevin

unfortunatly i know those fun little words all too well also! nothing more frustrating than being that close to the end, then crash!! heartbreaking. it probably won't help you at the moment of disappointment but, i figure that this is how many so neat tricks of the trade are born. maybe if you step away from it for awhile, the creative juices you have will start flowing. i've seen your work, you are an incredible artist! i'm sure something will come to you. the best part is, now you have nothing to lose with whatever you try out on it. if you had a picture of it up, someone may be able to start you on your way to a creative new style or technique. best of luck! smile.gif

Edited by flyingcuda

I've made repairs to pieces that pulled out a hole or two. First, unlace about an inch or two on each side of the damaged hole. If you can, remove the entire cover, otherwise, skive or sand the damaged area to about half thickness. Using a good, firm piece of leather, skive the ends and build a reinforcing strip for the lace hole area. Glue in and punch matching holes. Use white glue on a toothpick to carefully repair the ends of the blown out hole. If you skive or sand right, once laced you'll never know the reinforcing piece is back there.

Dave T.