UKRay

Getting Ready For Summer Shows... What Are You Doing?

Okay, it is the end of January already and I'm starting to panic that I'll never have enough stuff made in time for the shows. My first event is at Easter. Have you any idea how few weeks away that is? Sheesh!

So, I have invested in a new tent this year. Real canvas and weighs a ton but solid as a rock. I used an EZEEUP style tent all last year and was terrified it was going to blow away on several occasions. I have made new display stands and a demo table that are savagely robust and even acquired a shiny van to put it all in. The only thing I don't have is enough finished bits of leather. In fact I'm not even sure what I need to make!

What items will you be selling at shows this summer? What display kit will you be using? What really works for you?

C'mon guys - time to share. I've posted some pics of my last year's layout but I'd love to know what everyone else is doing, especially you folks in the US, Australia and NZ.

Ray

post-6314-064478400 1327877542_thumb.jpg

post-6314-096578100 1327877557_thumb.jpg

post-6314-004985700 1327877580_thumb.jpg

post-6314-061599700 1327877601_thumb.jpg

post-6314-071165800 1327877731_thumb.jpg

post-6314-070514200 1327877755_thumb.jpg

post-6314-083425700 1327877777_thumb.jpg

post-6314-090814100 1327877811_thumb.jpg

post-6314-048665500 1327877878_thumb.jpg

post-6314-068617700 1327877892_thumb.jpg

post-6314-096826800 1327877915_thumb.jpg

Wow, is that all stuff that you've made already? Or is it from a prior show and you've sold it all and have to make more? It looks like you've been a busy little critter regardless. As far as project ideas, I don't know how popular e-readers and i-devices are in your neck of the woods, but custom leather covers might be a possibility. (The black rats are a scream by the way, I love them. I might have to make a few for quilt weights for when I'm sewing).

This was my booth at a Christmas fair. I pretty well sold out during the Christmas period hence the panic to make more stuff now...

Okay, it is the end of January already and I'm starting to panic that I'll never have enough stuff made in time for the shows. My first event is at Easter. Have you any idea how few weeks away that is? Sheesh!

So, I have invested in a new tent this year. Real canvas and weighs a ton but solid as a rock. I used an EZEEUP style tent all last year and was terrified it was going to blow away on several occasions. I have made new display stands and a demo table that are savagely robust and even acquired a shiny van to put it all in. The only thing I don't have is enough finished bits of leather. In fact I'm not even sure what I need to make!

What items will you be selling at shows this summer? What display kit will you be using? What really works for you?

C'mon guys - time to share. I've posted some pics of my last year's layout but I'd love to know what everyone else is doing, especially you folks in the US, Australia and NZ.

Ray

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Ray , damn your lucky to have something like a castle wall to display stuff in front of...

I only have Mulga and buffalos , crocs , pythons , and the wife.

Cheers

Terry O'Brien

Darwin Australia

I wish they were all like that show, Terry. That one was was in the warm at King's Manor, York. The rest of the year I'm out in the open in a tent! Lol.

I guess that 3ft of wet snow, horizontal freezing rain and high winds aren't regular 'natural hazards' where you are?

Mind you, I'll pass on the snakes and crocs... lol

Wassa Mulga?

Ray

a mulga is either a tree or a snake.. depending on the slang of your area

I have been playing with some leaf barrettes, and smaller leaf pendants and they seemed to sell ok. fairly quick to make and if you go for a leaf with crinkly edges ... no burnishing :-) just skiving and wet molding

Natalie

Ray- I have to go off topic here and tell you I love the black rats!! So cool! Have any bats for the belfry? :cheers:

Crystal

I still have an EZ UP, and I call it my "dinosaur" because it's lasted me over 10 yrs now. I'd replace it, but it's expensive and I seem to sink enough into getting IN shows. I've signed up for two big events so far this year and hope for a third. I know of one other I'll do for sure. The rest will be smaller venues.

I'm working on two custom orders - one is a "notebook" case, and no, not the paper kind; the other is a flask. I'd also like to make myself an iPhone case, but as we know, what's for us is the last thing made. After those, I'll get back to bracelet making. I want to make as many as I can early on, so then I can devote myself to nicer pieces for the events. Bracelets sell really well and I do a variety; but they are not my favorite thing to do. Oh, and roses too - gotta make a bunch of them.

Do more masks! I Love your masks ;)I would Love to help you Building up Stock, but im Afraid i have no Time. I noticed some New Folk on a medieval Christmas fair over here. There were many Little Anime, Manga cosplay Girls, who bought quiet err colorful leatherstuff (violet, red, bright Green and Blue). Maybe Not your target Group but could be worth a try.

Many greetings to you and your Folks

Jonathan

Great ideas, leather people. Like the wet formed leaves a lot... hmmm! Nice one, Natalie.

So a mulga is either a tree or a snake... I can see some potential for confusion here -

"...watch out for that bloody great mulga, mate!"

"What the forty foot high one in front of the truck?"

"Nah, the big fella under your boot... "

"Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!"

I could never live in Australia - i'm waaaay too scared of snakes (or should that be mulgas?) lol!

Bats for my belfry are definitely on my wish list, Crystal. I wonder how they would look wet formed?

Hope your job is going well, Jonathan. Just remember that you are welcome back here anytime; especially when I have a stack of masks to make lol! You did some superb mask work last year - hope you are making lots more in Germany but it sounds like getting enough sleep is a bigger priority. Not sure how I'd do the anime stuff - can anyone suggest anything suitable?

I just made a big batch of small stitched pouches, they sell all year round. I'm going to cut out some sugar mouse pink ones tomorrow to see how they go. Maybe baby blue as well... I have no shame.

You hang on to that old tent, Holly. The older ones seem much stronger than the new ones. I understand you can get new covers for 'em. The frames seem almost indestructible but my zips were starting to give out. I've made a stack of bracelets this year, tooled, magic braid and all kinds of plain ones. They always sell so well - shame they are so tedious to make - bit like keyfobs really. I just cut out 500 of the things ready for stamped initials. I never want to see another one! lol

Keep the suggestions coming guys. We can all benefit from good ideas - especially new ones.

BTW, the rats sell pretty well but they won't make me rich. Now little leather catnip mice might be a good idea for next season as long as I can find time to source the catnip and devise a mouse pattern!

Ray