A friend of mine wanted to surprise her man by not only getting him a custom solid brass scale (which he'd been longing for), but also by having a nice case to put it in, with room for pens and pencils and the like.

She and I worked up a design, so this is what we came up with!

My first go at a basketweave pattern, and I slightly varied how deep I hit them, to give it a more rugged, lived-in feel after it was colored (that way he wouldn't feel bad about using it and carting it around as it got banged up.) She provided the design for the gussets, creating his initials to show his pride in his Russian heritage, as well as a symbol he'd drawn himself a while ago. Add his name, applied block out to the carvings, and colored with a lovely Fudge Brown. (not as tasty as it sounds, alas.)

Sewn all the way around with a saddle stitch after smoothing all the edges to keep the look even, and buckles with brass buckles, held on by brass rivets. She got the scale, and a pretty bag to keep it in (to protect from scratches).

I'm really really proud of this, as it was my first commission, and it came out (I think) pretty well. :-D Just wanted to show off!!

Custom_Scale_Case_by_SchuldigTheRed.jpg case 1.jpg case 2.jpg case 3.jpg

~Katie

post-8671-126007248283_thumb.jpg

post-8671-126007273328_thumb.jpg

post-8671-126007273863_thumb.jpg

post-8671-126007274314_thumb.jpg

Nice first commission Katie!!! You did a super job on this one. I also like the architectural scale that it holds.  I have a feeling you are going to get some more work after this one. You did a great job on the Basket Weave and I like the color. :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Storm

Thanks, Storm!!! I really appreciate it. <3 :rolleyes:

Thank you, Kate!! :-D

That was your first try at the Basketweave pattern? Very even and good impressions, Excellent work! The case looks fantastic too, and i know what you mean about Fudge Brown sounding delicious, i can't work with it on an empty stomach, otherwise i get tempted..

Yes it was my first attempt lol.

Thank you!! Yes, I have a bad habit of chewing on a knuckle when I'm thinking... I must tell you, gloves would have been an EXCELLENT idea!!!!

That's purdy! Don't forget to frame that first dollar from the cashing of those funds with a picture next too it.

Happy Holidays!

Thank you! lol if only it'd been cash :-D

I should frame a pic....

looks great!!!

Thank you very much!!! ^_^.