Bryan76

Sealing Leather

I'm having trouble sealing my leather projects after dyeing the leather. For instance I have done two projects lately, one dyed with Fiebing's Leather Dye. Another with Eco-Flo Leather Dye (water based). In both cases I apply, let dry, and then rub the heck out of it with cloth to try to get up the pigment that didn't soak in. But whatever I try to use to seal it, it seems that the cloth I use to rub in the sealer keeps pulling up more of the pigment. (I think I tried Eco-Flo Satin Shene on both of these projects). What should I use on these dye's to keep the leather dye from bleeding, especially bleeding if the weather gets damp/wet in the future?

Thank you!!

Well, I am guessing that you are too aggressive when rubbing in the sealer. Rubbing the dry dye out to remove excess dye seems like a good idea to me, but that would have to be done before applying the sealer, not after. After that, why rub the sealer in so deep? It's just a top coat, and not even totally waterproof. I use Fiebing's leather sheen, and the bottle says water resistant, not water proof.

Relly

After I dye an item and wipe the dry pigment off, I then use a cloth like a baby diaper (cloth), denim jeans cut in pieces for rags and buff the item. I then spray with Super Sheen and let it dry. I do not buff it out after I spray it. Buff prior to spraying with any type of sheen.

Also, apply two or three coats of the Super Sheen. I have never had any items returned or complaints about dye bleeding through.