tashabear

C.S. Osborne modeling tools

I just received this C.S. Osborne modeling tool that I just ordered from Zack White. (Wonderful experience dealing with them; my issue is not with the vendor.)

Are all C.S. Osborne modeling tools poorly finished, or did I just get (un)lucky? The surfaces of both faces are very rough; I'm going to have to spend a bunch of time polishing them before I can use it. It probably isn't worth returning it in favor of the Midas deerfoot that they sell, what with the restocking fee and the shipping there and back; I almost think I'd be better off just ordering the Midas tool and chucking $10 worth of C.S. Osborne tool in the garbage.

Thoughts?

Hi

I work with a modeling tool from peter main and it works great, also I use the modeler from barry king works great too

Greetings

Johann

Hi

I work with a modeling tool from peter main and it works great, also I use the modeler from barry king works great too

Greetings

Johann

That's awesome, and I thank you, but it doesn't answer my question.

Are all C.S. Osborne modeling tools poorly finished, or did I just get (un)lucky? The surfaces of both faces are very rough; I'm going to have to spend a bunch of time polishing them before I can use it.

This seems to echo my experience with Dixons tools in the UK, which I mentioned in the 'Stitching awl' thread.

Knives and awls are no longer supplied in what I would call a 'finished' condition. Knives have to be honed and stropped, and awls have to be sharpened and polished. I wonder if this is in deference to craftsmen who prefer to put their own finish on tools, or is it a way of cutting out the final stage of production to save on costs and avoid price increases (or increase profits!)?

Any further thoughts . . ?

This seems to echo my experience with Dixons tools in the UK, which I mentioned in the 'Stitching awl' thread.

Knives and awls are no longer supplied in what I would call a 'finished' condition. Knives have to be honed and stropped, and awls have to be sharpened and polished. I wonder if this is in deference to craftsmen who prefer to put their own finish on tools, or is it a way of cutting out the final stage of production to save on costs and avoid price increases (or increase profits!)?

Now that I've spent some time with it, it's not even the profile I want. It's less of a deerfoot modeler than it is a petal lifter, and I have a petal lifter already. Now I'm doubly disappointed, as I could have gotten the tool I wanted for half the price. This is one tool that will sit in my toolbox unused.

I think you probably got it spot on. I don't know if these tools were ever sold honed & stropped but I suspect not. Nowadays you can buy some blades that a sharpened, honed & stropped - Scandinvian tools often come this way (Gransfor Bruks axes, Mora/Frost knives, Martiinni filleting knives, Hans Karlsson tools) - but you will usually pay a hefty premium for it: it takes time, tools and skill. I could have shaved with my Gransfor Bruks axe when it arrived and that is not an exaggeration - I had no idea a tool could be that sharp, especially an axe, the Swedes are master sharpeners.

Like many craftsmen in the past, leather-workers would have had to either know how sharpen, hone and strop their cutting tool or, perhaps, have access to somebody who could (perhaps a dedicated sharpener in a tannery/workshop?), because they would need to use these tools sharp, day-in day-out. Also, "back in the day", men-folk would have to sharpen their razors in order to shave. When I took up bowl carving, I quickly realized that I needed to learn how to sharpen and maintain the edges of my hand-tools. So I learnt (and am still learning), such that I am no longer worried if tools arrive blunt (as long as the price reflects that) as I know that I can sharpen them myself and learn something from doing it. I quite enjoy it, it's therapeutic, and I get to decide bevel angles/lengths/shape/finish.

It takes time though and, for professionals, time is money - in which case it may well be worth paying the premium. You'll still need to need to learn how to maintain your blades for day-to-day use though (I find frequent stropping drastically reduces the need to sharpen or even hone my tools).

Edited by Tannin

From my experience, the newer Osborne tools seem to be lacking in finish quality. Everything Ive bought with their name on it has needed to be sanded and polished. I use 1000-2000 grit auto body sandpaper and flitz on a felt wheel in my dremel. I bought a creaser from them that was so misshapened that I had to take it to a belt sander. And while I have decent workable tools now, I honestly wonder if I should have just bit the bullet and bought Douglas, or Gomph or the like and saved the time right out of the gate.

Chuck

Chuck, Some of the newer Osborne tools bear little resemblance to even their own older tools. Creasers and bisonette edgers are shining examples.