Grey Drakkon

Creativity Says It Will Not Obey

So I bought my first pattern from Tandy, the archery quiver set. Turns out I don't have 8-9 oz leather, only thinner and much thicker scraps. So I figured what they hey, I may as well make the small hip quiver (looks basically like a children's sized quiver) and play around, since odds are I'm going to mess up anyways and it may as well be with leather and a quiver I don't care about as much. One of the pieces that was begging for some sort of decoration is a small rectangle that the belt slides through when wearing the quiver, so I thought what's kinda badass with a lot of appeal? Aha, a wolf!

I'm glad I tried sketching some out beforehand because apparently my personal muse was looking over my shoulder going "Nope, no wolves. I don't want a wolf. Stop drawing wolves! Alright fine, if you're going to draw wolves I'll let you have some, but they're going to be oriented the wrong way so you can't use them!" So I decided something different, how about a cougar? "Haha a cougar? Nope, I'm going to give that thing noodle legs!" >:/ Ok FINE, how about a pony! "Ooooh yeah I like ponies!"

post-11723-0-46691600-1413827905_thumb.j

So there you have it, from wolf to pony. -_- (I'm aware that the background is showing the tool marks but I actually liked the pattern it made so I didn't make much effort to blend it)

Lol, we all have those moments too! Some of life's best ideas come by straying from original plans.

Ha, fun. I like how it turned out kind of Greek/Trojan.

Grey Drakkon

Im on board with the pony . Personally I like wolves too, but you did a great job with the pony.

Congratulations ! ---------- Wild Bill46

Lol, we all have those moments too! Some of life's best ideas come by straying from original plans.

Don't I know it! This definitely wasn't the first time that's happened, it just amuses me sometimes how things morph.

Ha, fun. I like how it turned out kind of Greek/Trojan.

Hey, the Greeks had archers, right? ;) I had even been thinking of celtic knot shaped wolves to start with, so that's some departure.

Grey Drakkon

Im on board with the pony . Personally I like wolves too, but you did a great job with the pony.

Congratulations ! ---------- Wild Bill46

Glad to know you and my muse agree. ;) Now I can only hope that the rest of the quiver ends up looking presentable.

Anyone else have stories about how they ended up with something completely different than what they were aiming for, but it still looked good?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who not only converses with my muse, but often has arguments with her! Seriously... sometimes I think she needs a therapist and/or some good drugs... but she's usually right or leading me in a better direction.

Your pony looks fantastic. Loving the greek vibe, and the proportions/anatomy are spot on. Your muse has a great thought process going with the quiver, for which I think ponies are a great match for the reason you stated above with the greek archers.

Great. Now my muse is whining at me that I should do a better job of studying equine anatomy. I'm doing birds/wings/feathers now. Muse, be quiet!

Edited by lightingale

Great. Now my muse is whining at me that I should do a better job of studying equine anatomy. I'm doing birds/wings/feathers now. Muse, be quiet!

You know what that means, right? Pegasus!

You know what that means, right? Pegasus!

Muse: YES!!! A PEGASUS! DO IT NOW!

Me: But my client wants a Phoenix...

Muse: So let's just look a pictures of pegasi on google. You know, for future inspiration.

Me: Ok, pegasi are rather attractive. Gee, there's so much inspirational art out there!

*two hours pass*

Me: MUSE! What about that phoenix wing design you INSISTED I draw up at midnight on Friday last week? I haven't put that to leather yet!

Muse: That was nice, but SO last week. The pegasus.. an image of such power and beauty.. You should do that tonight! You can do both wings AND horses! See? I can compromise! Put on some symphonic metal (like Nightwish or Within Temptation) and start drawing! You know you want to.

Me: But my client is waiting!

Muse: Have you EVER won an argument with me? Seriously? If you insist on doing wings... Fine. I'll leave. Have fun without me.

Me: No! Don't leave! I haven't dyed these phoenix wings yet! What if my airbrush fails me and I need you?

Muse: That's not my problem, is it? However... What if you do fire wings on a pegasus? You can do my design AND practice the phoenix for your client! It's better to practice a technique before selling it, isn't it?

Me: I can't argue with that. I'll draw a Phoenix Pegasus tonight. A Phoenegasus! Or Phoenipeganix? This sounds familiar...

and....

She wins again.

Edited to add:

http://acornah.deviantart.com/art/Phoenipeganix-34488053

This isn't the first time we've had this conversation. That was from back in my photomanipulation days as a teenager.

Edited by lightingale

Well a hippogriff is a cross between a horse and griffon, I'm sure you can make a pheonix cross instead... ;D

Those were some of the best explanations of muse-arguements I've ever heard/read. I think mine is mostly like a cranky 2-year-old in need of a nap. It is definitely crabby when thwarted and has the attention span of a goldfish.

Edited to add:

http://acornah.deviantart.com/art/Phoenipeganix-34488053

This isn't the first time we've had this conversation. That was from back in my photomanipulation days as a teenager.

Haha I missed this, I'm still on DA as Ranasp. Need up upload my pony-not-wolf on there. ;)