joker

Chevy Piston Toolbag

Here is another piston bag that I just finished for a customer in Texas. The pistons are out of a 6 clyinder chevy.

Thanks

Joker

6c482178.jpg

0721fae3.jpg

A domed, or high compression piston with the valve cutouts would look cool for one of these.

Do you trim the tops off of the piston, or us the whole thing?

Nice job.

A domed, or high compression piston with the valve cutouts would look cool for one of these.

Do you trim the tops off of the piston, or us the whole thing?

Nice job.

l cut the skits off then grind down the ring groves so there is a place to rivit the leather, Here is one that I did with shovelhead pistons.

80ec0e4a.jpg

Sounds like you need to keep your eye out for a small lathe. Where are you located?

Sounds like you need to keep your eye out for a small lathe. Where are you located?

Im in Kansas and your right a small lathe would be cool but to find one that would chuck a piston I think would be kinda hard. I just use a sawsall and a 4" grinder. Takes longer but it works I guess, lol.

I have a small Atlas bench lathe (approx 6"x18" that would do it, but shipping would be a killer. My small home shop lathe is an 18.5"x54" Monarch. Check Craigslist, I see lathes quite often here, even with Las Vegas being manufacturing poor. Once you have one you will wonder how you operated without one.

I have a small Atlas bench lathe (approx 6"x18" that would do it, but shipping would be a killer. My small home shop lathe is an 18.5"x54" Monarch. Check Craigslist, I see lathes quite often here, even with Las Vegas being manufacturing poor. Once you have one you will wonder how you operated without one.

Been keeping my eye open on Craigslist but nothing has popped up yet. Your right it would be very nice to have a small lathe not only for turning these pistons but other small things for the scooter.

Thanks

Joker

try harborfreight.com for a low buck lathe

I would rather get a good used lathe than a throwaway one from HF. That's just my opinion. Being a machinist, and one who is very disturbed by the loss of manufacturing jobs to China, I have a hard time buying anything made there. Like most things, all you have to do is look around, and ask around for them . They will start popping up in due time. With the loss of so many shops, used lathes are fairly abundant. In the end it isn't the lathe that is expensive, it is the tooling to make it do what you want it to do that can add up. Chucks, centers, collets, cutters, etc....... When you buy a used late they often come with a bunch of tooling.

Here is another piston bag that I just finished for a customer in Texas. The pistons are out of a 6 clyinder chevy.

Thanks

Joker

I really like your piston bags! Could you show some pictures of how they're opened and closed? I'd like to see the inside.

Edited by Bobby hdflame

I really like your piston bags! Could you show some pictures of how they're opened and closed? I'd like to see the inside.

This is about the best pic I have right now. They open like any toolbag, just undo the buckles and open it up.

Hope this helps.

Joker

c345e615.jpg

This is about the best pic I have right now. They open like any toolbag, just undo the buckles and open it up.

Hope this helps.

Joker

c345e615.jpg

Joker,

Thanks so much for the quick reply and picture! That helps a lot. Actually seeing how something is put together really helps me understand it much better. It looks like you drill and tap the pistons for attaching the leather? I guess you could use rivets too. I've never used the copper or brass, (not sure which) rivets, but I bet they'd look good on it. I've seen them used on other projects on this site. Would they be easier or cheaper, or is there a reason you use screws?

Very nice work!

Thanks again,

Bobby

Those are just pop rivits. I drill the piston and then use pop rivits and a washer. It holds real well.

thanks for the kutos!

Joker