Sign in to follow this  
rccolt45

IWB holster question

I am building a IWB. The body will be 6/7oz and the throat band will br 5/60z. I plan on using belt loops with snaps. Can you guys give me advise on how best to locate and attach the loops. I am not really sure what type or lenth of snaps to use.

For 6/7 oz. leather you can probably get away with 1/4" posts on your snaps. I use ligne 24 snaps with 5/16" posts, as the additional post length is handy on the heavier applications and poses no problems on the lighter applications.

You mention a mouth reinforcement band, so I assume your IWB design is envelope-style construction. If so, you can mount the snap studs (male side) in the reinforcement band prior to stitching in place, then mount the caps (female side) on the extended strap forming the belt loop.

You may also wish to use interchangeable belt loops. These can be made separately and mounted using a 6-32 X 1/4" T-nut in the holster body at the point of loop attachment, accepting a #6-32 machine screw (1/4" length usually works for applications totalling 2 layers of leather; 3/8" length if there will be 3 layers total at the attachment point) through the male snap piece into the T-nut. Sounds difficult, but it really isn't.

Small quantities of T-nuts and machine screws are usually available at better hardware stores. Once you find a combination that works for your needs, bulk ordering will reduce unit cost substantially (this applies only if you are a volume producer, rather than a hobbyist working on an occasional project).

Hope this helps you.

Thanks Lobo, stupid question - is a T nut like a chicago screw? If not do you happen to have a pic of one?

If you would like to have a few T-nuts and machine screws, please let me know. I purchase these in bulk quantities and will be happy to send a few sets to you for experimentation.

Best regards.

Thanks Lobo, stupid question - is a T nut like a chicago screw? If not do you happen to have a pic of one?

T-nut

main_tnut.jpg

Chicago screw

brass-plated-chicago-screw.jpg

Bronson

If you would like to have a few T-nuts and machine screws, please let me know. I purchase these in bulk quantities and will be happy to send a few sets to you for experimentation.

Best regards.

LOBO - PM in bound.

Feel my pain. I finally made a IWB that I was happy enoug to pust pics. The last step was to add fore and aft belt loops with line 24 pull the dot snaps.

I was using 6/7 oz leather for body and 5/6 for loops. 5/16 inch snap posts. I even thined the loops like LOBO suggested. So I get out the old mallet and set the snaps. So far so good. First time I snap them it still looking good. The I unsnap them and bam the post and female part lets go. Now I have a IWB with a post sewed in and no snap. SOB.

So I guess I haveto go thinner on my leather. What do you guy suggest?

PM responded to.

Here are a few photos to illustrate a simple method of attaching strap loops for the IWB style holster.

1. Completed loop installation.

2. #6-32 X 1/4" machine screw through opening in snap stud.

3. T-nut mounted through back side of holster.

4. Holster body of 2 layers 8-oz leather, strap of 8-oz. leather.

As can be seen, the T-nut with 1/4" post length penetrates trough the 2-layer holster body, the 1/4" screw penetrates through the leather strap and connects solidly with the T-nut.

Hope this helps.

T-nut & screw strap attachment. 001.jpg

T-nut & screw strap attachment. 002.jpg

T-nut & screw strap attachment. 003.jpg

T-nut & screw strap attachment. 004.jpg

post-7487-126365124089_thumb.jpg

post-7487-12636512702_thumb.jpg

post-7487-126365127871_thumb.jpg

post-7487-126365128568_thumb.jpg

PM responded to.

Here are a few photos to illustrate a simple method of attaching strap loops for the IWB style holster.

1. Completed loop installation.

2. #6-32 X 1/4" machine screw through opening in snap stud.

3. T-nut mounted through back side of holster.

4. Holster body of 2 layers 8-oz leather, strap of 8-oz. leather.

As can be seen, the T-nut with 1/4" post length penetrates trough the 2-layer holster body, the 1/4" screw penetrates through the leather strap and connects solidly with the T-nut.

Hope this helps.