Pounder

Harbor Freight Stamping Help

I have a one ton Harbor Freight press I use for stamping letters on belts and other projects. Has made a big difference in the bounce I experienced with a maul, old hands just don't seem to have the strength anymore. Anyway the problem I am having is alignment of the letters, try as I might while holding the belt and working the lever I always seem to get one of the letter stamps off a bit. I recall seeing a home made jig (for lack of a better word) that would allow the placement of various sized straps for proper alignment of the stamp. Unfortunately after two hours of searching (serious case of computer eye going here) the forums I cannot find it.

Does anyone have plans for something like this or any ideas of what I can do to modify this press for better alignment?

Thanks for any ideas or directions, I am off to use some eye drops now.

Anything you can attach a fence to will work.

I made a wooden frame and use a piece of plywood for a fence.

The leather goes under the fence and the stamp is placed against the edge of the fence when stamping.

post-19342-0-06334200-1389445803_thumb.j

Edited by Tree Reaper

Thanks. Tree Reaper, that is a good idea, will steal your design if you don't mind.

Go for it!

Tree Reaper --------------------------------------------

Nearly a year later now, I thank you too ! As I like your fence idea as well as anything I have seen.

simplicity at its finest ! --- Thanx again Reaper. -------------------------------- Wild Bill46

Thank you Bill.

I have since modified that one and made another but pretty much the same simple idea.

post-19342-0-06194000-1418676991_thumb.j

post-19342-0-79119500-1418677022_thumb.j

Reaper ---------------------

Thank You, for taking time out to update me with, your new almost percision looking guide.

I like it so much, Im excited, and thinking of making one for myself,

I do feel compeled to ask though, where you obtain extruded aluminum and that type hand knobs

an office supply ? or even an art store ? I can make the wooden frame around a piece of granite.

I run into this aligning alot, now, problem solved. again thanx --------- Wild Bill46

Bill;

Search for T track, it comes in different lengths and the knobs are usually available where the track is sold.

http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-D2725-36-Inch-T-Slot/dp/B0000DD1O9/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418737395&sr=8-1&keywords=T+track

Edited by Tree Reaper

Great ways to align!

Reaper ----------------------------------

I found Amazons offering Ok-enough, Thank You !

But still want to wait till after the hiolidays, to look into this a bit further.

Im really excited about this, as I mentioned.

And, I also to say Merry Christ - mas to you and yours.

I think you could find the knobs and track at a woodworking specialty store such as Rocklers.

Chris

Chris builderofstuff----------------------------------

Thanks for chiming in here, I plan to check out this whole thing after the holidays.

but am here, and there before, I know what i'm doing. So i'll wait for just a bit longer I guess ? but thanks so much

I I'de like to wish You and Yours A Merry CHRIST mas