roots

Shoulder Strap Joining And Adjusting With No Metal Work

Hello wonder if any of you gents can help :)

I have made a leather satchel type bag that will be used in a historical context eg: early medieval. Having come up against the same challange I am sure they did back then, the piece for the shoulder strap was not long enogh for a continuous strap and will have to be jioned. I was thinking of just scarfing and sewing the overlapped pieces together but wondered if there was a way to make it adjustable without using buckles etc. I have a fair bit of overlap to play with.

Hope that makes sense :)

Regards Mark.

you could try bone toggles and lacing, or a few slits in the strap, or you could punch a number of holes and slide a leather loop through the holes similar to the hammer retention loops on cowboy holsters.

One of the easiest (and easiest to adjust if left a little loose) is this simple idea. Punch holes and add the tie pattern, . . . works great for purses, possiblity bags, belts, . . . whatever needs to be adjusted from time to time.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-0-50076600-1357910554_thumb.jp

Dwight, thats exactly what I meant by punch holes and lace, but I lacked the picture. Thanks for clarifying.

You could also use a 'tab and slot'. You cut a small arrow head shaped tab on the end of one strap, and slots in the other. The tab is pushed through the slot and the 'wings' keep it from pulling back through. Add a keeper (or two) to keep the straps aligned.

The holes and lace IS easier to do, though.

Here's an idea I made on a quiver, I hope the picture tells the story :-)

post-5624-0-55611000-1358008713_thumb.jp

There are a few more good ideas there :)

I have also looked at a period specific way they used to tie sword belts as an option. Two holes in one end, the other end cut into two long tapering thongs ( think swallow tail but long and narrow ). Thread thongs through holes and tie in an overhand knot. It works and with sets of holes in pairs is adjustable.