RonDrake

441 Clone And Leather Border Stamping

i was wondering if anyone has ever thought about multiple uses for a 441 clone besides sewing or has something like this already been invented and i haven't found it yet.

doing a border stamp on a 48" belt by hand takes forever and if there was a way to install a stamp in place of the needle that could really speed up the process.

i was thinking that the 441 would have everything needed such as power, speed, pressure and stitch length adjustment .

granted the cost of the making the parts may be expensive and it would take someone who knew what they were doing to get it off the ground and working properly.

ron

An embossing wheel on a handle can be done in a few minutes by hand and you didn't screw up an expensive piece of machinery that was never intended for a purpose such as this.

ferg

I'd have to agree with Ferg. If you change thickness of leather it'll affect when the stamp stops and probably knock it out of time or break something. A needle goes through the leather and stops at the same depth each time. A stamp would need to stop on top of the leather.

There's all sorts of embossing methods from hand wheels to crank types that just do boarders.

Have a new outer presser foot made with the design on the bottom outside edge. It should emboss that pattern as you sew. You would need a lot of foot pressure and probably wet leather edges to do this.

Edited by Wizcrafts

thanks for the replies.

i don't do a whole lot of sewing and was just trying to think of other possible uses for the machine other than collecting dust.

ron

Ron,

From my own experience.... I don't have time to do much leather from July through Christmas so whatever skills I have with my sewing machines

is hard to get going again. Stitch something just to be doing it, if you have time. Keeps the mind working anyway. :)

ferg