Sign in to follow this  
JACKP

Proper Leather For Holster

Hi,

This is my first post. I've been reading here for a while now and You folks have given me the bug.

I've wanted to make a holster for a while now but thought I had to have a sewing machine :rolleyes: . I now have the wonderful books, Hand sewing leather, and How to make holsters by Al Stohlman.

I would like to make the Frontier double loop holster on page 24 of How to make holsters.

Any advise on what leather weight, lined or not, and best place to get said leather would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jack

Hi,

This is my first post. I've been reading here for a while now and You folks have given me the bug.

I've wanted to make a holster for a while now but thought I had to have a sewing machine rolleyes.gif . I now have the wonderful books, Hand sewing leather, and How to make holsters by Al Stohlman.

I would like to make the Frontier double loop holster on page 24 of How to make holsters.

Any advise on what leather weight, lined or not, and best place to get said leather would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jack

Welocomee to the addiction Jack. For a frontier double loop and being your first holster, I would suggest making a double layer holster which is essentially a lined holster. The two peices are glued flesh side to flesh side which then has the grain side exposed inside and out. They are then stitched around the perifery. I'd suggest a single shoulder from Tandy in 5/6OZ weight. That should give you more than enough leather for the holster.

Welocomee to the addiction Jack. For a frontier double loop and being your first holster, I would suggest making a double layer holster which is essentially a lined holster. The two peices are glued flesh side to flesh side which then has the grain side exposed inside and out. They are then stitched around the perifery. I'd suggest a single shoulder from Tandy in 5/6OZ weight. That should give you more than enough leather for the holster.

Thanks for the info Denster.

I suppose you are saying ,use 5/6 oz. and double that to make it 10/12 oz. in the end.

Thanks again

Jack

Thanks for the info Denster.

I suppose you are saying ,use 5/6 oz. and double that to make it 10/12 oz. in the end.

Thanks again

Jack

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Good morning Jack: I agree with Denster completely. I make almost all of my holsters that way. For smaller framed guns I may use 4/5 oz and on one particular rig for a custom Vaquero in .45 Colt, I went 7/8 and 5/6. Edge burnish all edges except the main welt (from trigger guard to muzzle) before you assemble it completely. Cut yourself a good stitching groove and follow it with 5 or 6 stitches per inch and you will be pleased with your efforts. Would like to see a pic or two when you are done. Here is a quick holster and mag pouch I just finished. Mike

P.S. I also saddle stitch all my stuff by hand.

3a.jpg

Edited by katsass

Welcome to Leatherworker.net, Jack. As you've seen it's a great site where you can feed your new addiction hobby. You happen to be in luck for finding leather, because Tandy is offering single shoulders for ~$15 right now. Give 'em a call, and you'll be on your way.

Welcome to Leatherworker.net, Jack. As you've seen it's a great site where you can feed your new addiction hobby. You happen to be in luck for finding leather, because Tandy is offering single shoulders for ~$15 right now. Give 'em a call, and you'll be on your way.

Thankd again for the help men.

I just ordered leather from Tandy plus a few tools.

It will be a few weeks before I get time to start but I will keep you posted.

Beautiful work Katsass

Thanks again

Jack