Sign in to follow this  
cbulld

Other Projects I've Made, Not The Best.

Your construction looks good, but why didn't you finish the carving on your floral patterns?

The holster and the pink thing. I don't know what that is.

This is only a opinion: I think you are trying too many elements at the same time. Focus on them one at a time. The edging is the simplest and yet the one with most things to do . There is no substitute for a good clean edge well dyed . The sayin :"Less Is more" applys with many projects . Keeping it simple is often the best course . I am reminded of those old Kung Fu movies where the student shows up at the temple and says to the master : I dont have a lot of time forget the basics and just show me all the cool stuff .LOL . Believe it or not we all start in the same basic place with our projects as a fellow artist I honour the time you spent at the bench . I am at a loss for words ,that dont happen often , I guess it can be summed up in less ,slower ,cleaner and simple. Bill

The holster and the pink thing. I don't know what that is.

the holster i made last year off of a pattern when i was learning how, so i jsut followed the pattern, the pink thing was a set of spur straps a gal wanted.

This is only a opinion: I think you are trying too many elements at the same time. Focus on them one at a time. The edging is the simplest and yet the one with most things to do . There is no substitute for a good clean edge well dyed . The sayin :"Less Is more" applys with many projects . Keeping it simple is often the best course . I am reminded of those old Kung Fu movies where the student shows up at the temple and says to the master : I dont have a lot of time forget the basics and just show me all the cool stuff .LOL . Believe it or not we all start in the same basic place with our projects as a fellow artist I honour the time you spent at the bench . I am at a loss for words ,that dont happen often , I guess it can be summed up in less ,slower ,cleaner and simple. Bill

thanks bill, yes i tried jumping into it head on with out mastering the basics.

the holster i made last year off of a pattern when i was learning how, so i jsut followed the pattern, the pink thing was a set of spur straps a gal wanted.

Well there ya go! A year makes a huge difference in any craft. And, as I said, your construction looks great. Lol @ the spur straps. I knew is was something horse related, but some of us city folk just haven't got a clue when it comes to those pieces. Would it surprise you to learn I want to make a saddle? Maybe I should go ride a horse for a while first.

Anyway, thanks for posting and keep it up.

Mike

I know little to nothing on carving, well, I just don't do it enough to critique on anyway. So, on the western rig I'll just comment on the skirt/skirt slot gap. The trick to that is to ensure the skirt fold is as close to the same width as the slot as possible. Getting the skirt through the slot is pretty easy, but I had to watch John Bianchi's video to figure it out. Basically you simply fold the skirt in half, slide a plastic sleeve (bag) on it, spray with silicone, and push it through the slot.

The bullet loops were a last minute not paying attention thrown together, I've made other belts I've wet the leather and looped it thru with the bullets to form them.