KelseyR89

Need Help With What Kind Of Leather!

Hey everybody!

I've been making leather products since February and really want to start branching out a bit. I love thin wallets and want to start making wallets with more pockets. Up to this point I've only been making wallets with 2-3 pockets because any more than that makes the wallet too bulky. I've seen a few wallets that Nigel Armitage makes where he uses leather that's 1-2 mil (is what he says, I'm assuming that oz) and they look SO nice I want to start making them. The problem is I worry if that is too thin for me to stamp on? Will it just go through the leather? Also, he said something about tooling on leather that he bought pre-dyed, is that possible?? I always assumed you couldn't tool on something unless it was undyed... I've been using 3-4 oz Craftsmen Oak Tooling Leather if that helps :)

I attached a wallet I just did the other day so you can see what kind of stamping I do.

Thank you for your help!

post-49210-0-56524200-1405539489_thumb.j

I believe when he says "mil" he mean millimeters. I don't have a conversion table close but they are available to go from millimeter to oz. Pre-dyed veg tan is tool-able. If you have any question as to whether it can be or not make sure to ask someone where you are getting it from.

As for tooling thin leather, lighter hits will be required. Always test on a practice piece first!

Hope this helps, here is a conversion chart with some explaination.

http://www.ebay.com/gds/LEATHER-WEIGHT-CONVERSIONS-CORRECTING-MISINFORMATION-/10000000176039921/g.html

Edited by mlapaglia