Sign in to follow this  
Colt W Knight

First Portrait

I have been struggling deciding which direction I want to go into on my leather work. I know what I want to make, but I didn't really know what I wanted to carve. I don't enjoy leaf or flower tooling, but I do like Pictures and lettering. I am not very good at it, but I would love some pointers. When I carve a picture or an animal, I feel a lot more satisfaction than tooling a flower or a leaf.

This is my lovely GF, Miss Ashley

AshleyLeather1_zps6c96124f.jpg

This is my stencil - I am still not sure what lines to simply trace and which lines to carve with the swivel knife.

AshleyLeather2_zpsf83dbd30.jpg

I have this stylus, I feel like the ball point is too big, but I really don't know???

AshleyLeather5_zpse4e17434.jpg

Traced

AshleyLeather6_zps6a41fb9a.jpg

I am using a Pro Kraftool swivel knife. I keep it sharp, and it cuts beautifully. I am getting better at using this knife.

AshleyLeather7_zps286f757c.jpg

AshleyLeather8_zps4d01f397.jpg

Backgrounded

AshleyLeather9_zps7038588e.jpg

Dyed in some highlights

AshleyLeather10_zpsa36db181.jpg

Added some lighter antique

AshleyLeather11_zps060aab5c.jpg

Glued on the felt

AshleyLeather12_zps880fba58.jpg

Sewed on the felt

AshleyLeather14_zps6370681b.jpg

All said and done

AshleyLeather16_zps406f3421.jpg

1) The way I beveled the face, she looks chubby ( I don't like that)

2) What is the best way to get hair texture? I just scratched in some lines that follow the hair. In person, up close, you can see the texture, but It just isn't good enough.

3) How do you bevel lips so they don't look like Mr Potato Head? and eye brows? Is there a procedure for eyeballs and glasses?

4) I finally figured out what I was doing wrong with the backgrounding tool, so that should be better on my next attempt.

* If anyone has some literature or personal suggestions, I would be most grateful. I know I am not a master leathercrafter, but I do want to get better. I thoroughly enjoy picture carving.

This was my first picture - I learned a lot about texture and beveling on this one.

Birdonsling_zps1ae77880.jpg

Learned more creating some flags

Flagonsling_zps751aa569.jpg

RifleSling6_zpsce5e100c.jpg

Edited by Colt W Knight

It's looking pretty fair. Lines that are beveled can be softened some by running a spoon over the sharp edge to round it over some. You can do some small practice pieces where you just experiment with eyes, nose, etc.

There is an Al Stohlman book called Figure Carving. It has lots of info for both human and animal figure carving. 132 pages. part of it is in colour and includes using dyes.

Tom