Sign in to follow this  
Johanna

ClayB's Open Mouthed Bear

ClayB's Open Mouthed Bear

The narrative is at the bottom of each full picture. I was impressed at the degrees of depth Clay worked into the bear's snout.

Johanna

Edited by Northmount
Fixed URL Changed http to https (secure)

Just amazing to see this progress in detailed step by step. Clay's skill AND patience to photo & document each step. I've got a lot of books and video but, none show better than Clay's. Kudo's to him for giving us newer carvers a tutorial like this.

Thanks Clay and Johanna

Regis

Amazing your lucky you didnt lose your finger there it looks so real, would it be possible to see the actual tools you use for the job as it is hard to see what it is some times, like the round one you use on the teeth, or is it just som thing you use to lift with?

I wish I had time to more of these. If any of you get something out of them, it makes it worth it.

The round tool I used to cut the teeth loose is a pro petal tool. You can get them from Tandy or Hidecrafter or other places. The ones I use most are from Jeff Mosby.

http://www.greyghostgraphics.com/Brochure.pdf

He makes them in 4 sizes and they come really sharp and have the right shape to the tip to allow them to work better. The main purpose of a pro petal is to give more depth to floral carving, but I learned from Jan Schoonover that you can cut layers of leather loose with them better than with a scalpel.

If you want to know more about any of the other tools, let me know and I will try and give you the details.

Clay

You really out did yourself, Clay! Remember when we were talking about your other bear, and how neat it would be to have a tongue in there? Now you have one, and it looks great! I'm impressed.

Kathy

thanks clay for the info now i know how it works and what it is

:specool: Thanks Clay ive got the pic sorry work of art next to my PC i keep looking at it and admiring the way its done its is so real im gonna have to get around at trying somthing like this one day :cheers: Don