Sign in to follow this  
Johanna

Dale Hietala Mt. Lion

Dale Hietala, a gifted artist and a dear friend, succumbed to my relentless arm twisting and did a great step-by-step tutorial of how he carved a mountain lion.

http://www.leatherworker.net/mtnlion/index.htm

Give the page a moment or so to load.

Thank you so much, Dale, for sharing with us!

Johanna

Johanna said:
Dale Hietala, a gifted artist and a dear friend, succumbed to my relentless arm twisting and did a great step-by-step tutorial of how he carved a mountain lion.

https://www.leatherworker.net/mtnlion/index.htm

Give the page a moment or so to load.

Thank you so much, Dale, for sharing with us!

Johanna

Thanks Dale and Johanna for doing this!

Dale, it was really fun seeing how you do this. I like the way you use the pear shader so much. I have started doing more and more beveling with the pear shader, but not nearly as much as you do. Now maybe I will do even more that way. Are you just using the needles to draw in the hair? And if you are, did you do the entire body that way too???? Seems like that would take forever! I think I read somewhere that Bill Gomer does his hairing like that. I haven't tried that. The whole thing looks great. Thanks for taking the time to do the pictures and text. I know it takes a lot of time, but lots of us will appreciate that you did.

Thanks to you Johanna for putting this up on the forum. I know (on the ones I did at least) that it probably takes you as much time to get them up on the forum as it does to carve them. We appreciate all the time you put into this too! Keep twisting those arms! It's neat to see some of the tricks that Dale has come up with and it's always a good day when I learn something new.

Clay

Are you just using the needles to draw in the hair? And if you are, did you do the entire body that way too???? Seems like that would take forever! I think I read somewhere that Bill Gomer does his hairing like that.

Clay,

Just drawing in the hair is exactly right. Took about 3 hours. I don't know about Gomer, but I first learned of using a glover's needle from a doodle page Doris Ferweda did. Schoonover told me he also uses a needle on occasion. This is the second piece where I've used it. It's been giving me some pretty good effect with color, too. We'll see how it finishes up.

Dale

Thank you Dale. I really liked the whole process you layed out. I'm really glad you ented times. Helps me know that I work too fast for the experience I have and is probably the cause of most of my 'difficult' areas. What/how you transfered some details is interesting. Adding the photo with your hand & tool also helps by showing overall size perspective.