Sign in to follow this  
esantoro

Energy consumption around the workshop

About a year ago I was curious to know how much energy these 441 clones consume.

Today, I received a P3 International kilowatt measuring device and have been going around the workshop measuring kwh usage.

Please correct me if my usage of kwh is not correct.

1. 75 watt incandescent lamps consume .00133 kwh per minute.

2. 441 with servo motor consumes .0005 kwh per minute. To get this result, I ran the machine with a #25 needle but no thread for 18 minutes straight. Consumption during that time was .01 kwh.

Notes: slow, controlled stitching on one or two layers of 5/6 oz chrome tanned pulled 45 watts/1.45 amps. Four layers of the same pulled 48 watts/1.66 amps.

Moderately fast stitching of one or two layers of 5/6 oz chrome tanned pulled 72 watts/1.58 amps.

Sitting idle the machine draws 3 watts/.03 amps

As we get older, the toys only become more practical.

Ed

you did adjust your calculations to allow to direction of rotation didn't you?

Ed........make some more Bags .........you have entirley too much

time on yours hands............

About a year ago I was curious to know how much energy these 441 clones consume.

Today, I received a P3 International kilowatt measuring device and have been going around the workshop measuring kwh usage.

Please correct me if my usage of kwh is not correct.

1. 75 watt incandescent lamps consume .00133 kwh per minute.

2. 441 with servo motor consumes .0005 kwh per minute. To get this result, I ran the machine with a #25 needle but no thread for 18 minutes straight. Consumption during that time was .01 kwh.

Notes: slow, controlled stitching on one or two layers of 5/6 oz chrome tanned pulled 45 watts/1.45 amps. Four layers of the same pulled 48 watts/1.66 amps.

Moderately fast stitching of one or two layers of 5/6 oz chrome tanned pulled 72 watts/1.58 amps.

Sitting idle the machine draws 3 watts/.03 amps

As we get older, the toys only become more practical.

Ed

Ed, do you mean the servo motor uses power when it is not in use? I have no idea what amount of power is used in my workshop but the house and workshop usually runs 750 - 800 dollars a quarter.

Tony.

I agree with Luke, Ed. Get back to work and stop playing with those toys!

Ray

Now I can say that Walden Bags is a green company.

I'm working on the real stuff:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listi...r=&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title

And I have a couple of black bags I'm finishing up.

Does this mean no one wants to hear about my new infrared thermometer pistol and the temperature of the neighbor's cat?

ed

"It is in procrastination that we work through the complexities of other areas of life. Or it just makes us so behind that we are forced to stay up till 4 am to get the real work done. But the sleep that comes later is bliss."

---Confucious Ed

Now I can say that Walden Bags is a green company.

I'm working on the real stuff:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listi...r=&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title

And I have a couple of black bags I'm finishing up.

Does this mean no one wants to hear about my new infrared thermometer pistol and the temperature of the neighbor's cat?

ed

"It is in procrastination that we work through the complexities of other areas of life. Or it just makes us so behind that we are forced to stay up till 4 am to get the real work done. But the sleep that comes later is bliss."

---Confucious Ed

Ed, you didn't answer my question re. the servo motor!

Tony.

If the red power light is on, but the stitcher is not actually in use, power is still being consumed. I'm not sure how much energy is consumed by a constant 3 watt/.03 amps. I'll leave the power on overnight with the meter attached and report back.

I have also heard that leaving the power on when the machine is not in actual use is not good for the motor and will shorten its lifespan.

I know that energy rates varyby geography, but what do some of you pay per kilowatt hour?

ed

Ed, do you mean the servo motor uses power when it is not in use? I have no idea what amount of power is used in my workshop but the house and workshop usually runs 750 - 800 dollars a quarter.

Tony.

Okay, I'll buy it. What part of the neighbor's cat have you been sticking your thermometer pistol in then, Ed?

The deal is with motors is that it takes more power to get the thing started than it does to keep it running, so running it for 18 minutes isn't showing you the true power usage because when you sew your constantly starting, stopping, speeding up and slowing down the machine. Those power meters are really for something like refrigerators and computers as well as other stuff that you turn on and leave on for hours on end.

Damon the mad electrician

(who happens to be studying motors in school at this time)

That 18 minutes did include a bit of stopping, starting, oiling, repositioning of leather, etc. I did notice that when I went from slow to fast stitching there was a spike in energy consumption that leveled off.

Chances are that there is probably no actual real life stitching scenario I can come up with that would require enough stitching for the motor to consume even .01 kwh.

ed

The deal is with motors is that it takes more power to get the thing started than it does to keep it running, so running it for 18 minutes isn't showing you the true power usage because when you sew your constantly starting, stopping, speeding up and slowing down the machine. Those power meters are really for something like refrigerators and computers as well as other stuff that you turn on and leave on for hours on end.

Damon the mad electrician

(who happens to be studying motors in school at this time)

With the power on (red light on) but the machine not being operated, energy consumption for 12 hours is .04 kwh.

ed

If the red power light is on, but the stitcher is not actually in use, power is still being consumed. I'm not sure how much energy is consumed by a constant 3 watt/.03 amps. I'll leave the power on overnight with the meter attached and report back.

I have also heard that leaving the power on when the machine is not in actual use is not good for the motor and will shorten its lifespan.

I know that energy rates varyby geography, but what do some of you pay per kilowatt hour?

ed

Okay, I'll buy it. What part of the neighbor's cat have you been sticking your thermometer pistol in then, Ed?

See, that's the beauty of of it: I don't have to stick anything up the cat. I just aim the laser beam from 20 feet away.

You can take this on the street with you to see who's got Swine Flu. :lol:

ed

Edited by esantoro

See, that's the beauty of of it: I don't have to stick anything up the cat. I just aim the laser beam from 20 feet away.

You can take this on the street with you to see who's got Swine Flu. :lol:

ed

And also who's hot and who's not.

Not only did I adjust for the rotation of the earth but also magnetic pull, percent tilt of the earth, and gravitational pull.

ed

Not only did I adjust for the rotation of the earth but also magnetic pull, percent tilt of the earth, and gravitational pull.

ed

17" CRT MAG Innovision computer monitor sitting for SIX hours with no actual use of the computer consumes .41 kwh.

Later I will check the computer itself (CPU and hardware).

ed

ed

17" CRT MAG Innovision computer monitor sitting for SIX hours with no actual use of the computer consumes .41 kwh.

Later I will check the computer itself (CPU and hardware).

ed

I just checked the energy consumption of the computing unit itself:

AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core processor 5000+

two 300 gb hard drives

400 watt power supply

2x DVDRW Drives

Hooked up to cable internet

I ran the computer for 11 hours and 30 minutes. Energy consumption during that time came to 1.28 kwh, which is about .0019kwh per minute. During this period, the computer was mostly idle, as I would periodically perform web searches, check email, and read forum posts. No hardcore computing was done during this time (eg., film editing, digital processing, large file transfers, DVD/CD burning, etc.)

Add to this energy consumption for the monitor, which was about .00113 kwh per minute and you have total consumption of approximately .00303 kwh per minute for the monitor and computer and hardware. Multiply this number by 60 for consumption per hour and you get .1818 kwh per hour. At ten cents per kwh that is about 1.8 cents to run the monitor and computer for one hour. If you have the computer and monitor running for 10 hours a day, energy cost at $.10 per kwh comes to around $.18 per day. Do this 30 days a month and it's about $5.50. For the year it comes to about $65.50.

In NYC, the current cost per kwh is about $.10. During hot summers, this can shoot up to $.18. That is the word from Con Ed.

Some of the above figures were rounded; some were carried out additional decimal places.

It is never to late to procrastinate.

Ed