ruthless

custom stamp

I'd like to get my logo made into a stamp to brand my products. My local leather shop said they could have the stamp made for me but it's look better if I dropped my pieces into them in bulk and they heat stamped them. My husband said I can just get a stamp made and heat it up and heat stamp them myself at home. [Does that make sense?]

Is that true?

Is there anywhere online where I can order custom stamps?

You may be looking for a 'Maker's Stamp'. There are quite a few sources here for that. Just yesterday, I contacted a lady that makes them and for $35 + $5 shipping, She is making up a 'Maker's Stamp' for me. It's from a photo of one of my German Shepherds with the kennel name on the bottom. While I was at it, I had her make a stamp with the Caduceus on it. I have a project where that is needed and I couldn't find one. Her website is: www.lasergiftcreations.com Her name is Brenda and her customer service skills are awesome.

Spence, I believe the stamp you're referring to is made of delrin. It's a very hard plastic, but it may not be great to use for a heat-stamping process.

Ruthless, what kind of leather are you planning to stamp? If it's veg-tan, then you don't need to heat the stamp, but just case the leather as you would for stamping or tooling. In that case, a plastic stamp will work fine.

If it's chrome-tanned leather, then you probably do need a stamp you can heat, which means you need it made of a material that won't melt when you heat it, and stay hot long enough to get the impression made. There are companies who make custom stamps of steel and other metals.

Kate

Kate, that's right it is made of Delrin. I had never heard of the heat stamp thing....novice disease. lol

How did your Delrin stamp come out? Can you post a picture? I am researching getting a custom stamp made for my son's boy scout troop and I want to know if the plastic stamps are going to work well. How durable are they, in relation to a steel stamp? A nice steel stamp is 2-3 times the price.

Thanks

Brian

Kate, that's right it is made of Delrin. I had never heard of the heat stamp thing....novice disease. lol

How did your Delrin stamp come out? Can you post a picture? I am researching getting a custom stamp made for my son's boy scout troop and I want to know if the plastic stamps are going to work well. How durable are they, in relation to a steel stamp? A nice steel stamp is 2-3 times the price.

Thanks

Brian

If I can jump in here, Brian, my son had 2 custom maker stamps made for us out of delrin from Brenda at laser Gift Creations. Do a search on this site & you'll find her. Incredibly tough stuff delrin is, and our stamps are incredibly detailed, with sharp, deep images & lettering :Holysheep: ... and Brenda will help you design your stamp at no extra charge if you can't freehand the design you want. I think the price was $35 per stamp (and it's a relatively large stamp, too, so the price was great). :thumbsup: Brenda tries her best to work with you. She's great!

russ

Whoops, I missed Spence's post above: www.lasergiftcreations.com . Sorry, Spence- I should learn to read all the posts.

russ

Edited by whinewine

I'd like to get my logo made into a stamp to brand my products. My local leather shop said they could have the stamp made for me but it's look better if I dropped my pieces into them in bulk and they heat stamped them. My husband said I can just get a stamp made and heat it up and heat stamp them myself at home. [Does that make sense?]

Is that true?

Is there anywhere online where I can order custom stamps?

Ruthless,

I remember there was a soldering iron-type branding iron that was offered back in the'70s, early '80s... I think I remember seeing ads for them in the back of MIWL magazines from time to time- maybe they were marketed by Tandy? I don't know, but, at any rate, they are no longer offered, & I've never seen any offered on ebay (so maybe I just imagined all of that- too much sex, drugs & rocknroll? :brainbleach: )

Suggestion: If you could have someone make up a custom, threaded screw-on soldering iron tip for a higher wattage soldering, then you could have your own branding iron.

russ

That was my thought too, Russ, but i thought it was in a woodworking magazine. Google custom wood branding iron, there's a bunch of sites that make them

Edited by Timd

I haven't done it in awhile, but if you Google "pyrography" you should be able to come up with some branding irons. If I remember right, they're not cheap.

Brian: I should have my maker's stamp and a custom stamp of a "Caduseous" by the end of the week. Brenda is really great to work with. We started with a photo of one of my German Shepherds and I just photoshopped all of the texture out of the face and she was able to redraw the main lines. I'll post pics of them as soon as I get them.