Sign in to follow this  
BeltFanDan

My First Hand Sewing Job, Now I Want a Machine

This is the first hand stitched strap I did. It took way too long to do. I will be doing more of these likely in the future, and would like suggestions on a good machine to do this.

I will be using 7-10 oz tooling sides, and want it to look the same as what I have done.

Your suggestions are appreciated.

Here is the hand stitched one:

HybigGold_005.jpg

post-7007-1240713720_thumb.jpg

This is the first hand stitched strap I did. It took way too long to do. I will be doing more of these likely in the future, and would like suggestions on a good machine to do this.

I will be using 7-10 oz tooling sides, and want it to look the same as what I have done.

Your suggestions are appreciated.

Here is the hand stitched one:

Hi BeltFanDan, I would suggest a flat bed machine. There are flat bed machines that sew from 2-20 oz. that would fall in the category of what you are doing, and more importantly, would do the job faster, and probably just as nice. Thanks, Steve

Thanks for the suggestion. Any specific brands/models? The only thing I've seen so far is the Tippman Boss.

Check out:

Cowboysew.

Leathermachineco.

NeelsSaddlery.

Springfieldleather.

add a "com" to the end of those for websites. There's also a host of others- Sew-mo, Ferdco, Adler, Highlead.... and you can get specifics in the 'sewing machine' section about each type of machine. Get one set up for leather.

Things to consider: Flatbed will do great on the belts. If you need closer work for bags, holsters, etc., then consider a cylinder arm. There's an attachment that can make a cylinder bed into a flat bed, but not vice versa.

Feed mechanisim- feed dogs vs. unison feed vs. needle only. All that info is available for your reading pleasure.

CobraSteve (leathermachineco) and Ryan Neel (Neel's Saddlery) are both members here and are 'in touch' with what's needed in this craft.

Edited by TwinOaks