Sign in to follow this  
UKRay

Craftaids wanted

I have just been informed (yup, I didn't run fast enough) that I am to teach a leather carving class at a local youth group camp.

As I am undoubtedly the worst artist in the world, I'm keen to source any unwanted/unloved craftaids and will gladly pay a fair price (plus shipping to the UK) for them. Ideally I'd like to track down the set of Zodiac signs that were around in the 70s plus any animal patterns as the kids always like those. I'm also happy to hear about classic flower designs.

If you have anything at all then please drop me a PM so we can reach an arrangement.

Thanks guys,

Ray

Ray - I think you have developed that dread illness known around here as "Helium Hand"

symptoms include --

Your hand raising by itself when someone askes for a "volunteer"

Somehow doing things that you are not good at

Asking everybody in range for "help"

and the ever popular - Ask Ray - He can do it (cause you did something for them a billion years ago)

:NEWFUNNYPOST:

Been there, done that, got a t-shirt, keep going back (I guess I'm a glutton for punishment).

Anyway. Let me look through the archives tonight when I get home from work and I'll let you know what I've got.

Edited by The Major

I have just been informed (yup, I didn't run fast enough) that I am to teach a leather carving class at a local youth group camp.

As I am undoubtedly the worst artist in the world, I'm keen to source any unwanted/unloved craftaids and will gladly pay a fair price (plus shipping to the UK) for them. Ideally I'd like to track down the set of Zodiac signs that were around in the 70s plus any animal patterns as the kids always like those. I'm also happy to hear about classic flower designs.

If you have anything at all then please drop me a PM so we can reach an arrangement.

Thanks guys,

Ray

Ray - I just got a whole box full of craftaids and pullouts. I'll go through them ASAP, pullout what I may want to keep, scan them, and then for the cost of postage mail them to you - it's about an 8-9" thick stack of the things....

UKRay

I like to collect the old floral craftaids only and sometimes I end up with some animal one. I only have 2-3, but you are more than welcome to have them. I will send them 1st class to you from 78728. Let me know what it would cost to ship and I will get them sent out tomorrow morning.

Good luck.

Ray (and anyone else who's interested!),

Have you tried making your own 'Craftaids'?

Here's a method that I've developed for designs that need to be repeated.

I use .008" (200 micron) Melinex clear acetate film - it's waterproof, dimensionally stable, and will not distort.

1. Trace the design onto the film with a fine waterproof (spirit-based) pen.

2. Prick through the film with a fine-pointed needle, following the traced lines, with prick-marks about 1mm apart. Don't prick through too deeply . . . just enough to penetrate the film.

3. The prick-marks will raise little 'pimples' on the underside of the film.

4. Position the film, right-side up, onto the cased leather, and rub over gently with the back of a spoon or a smooth burnisher.

5. The pimples on the back of the film are transferred to the leather as a series of dotted lines.

6. Either join the dots with a fine stylus, or carve directly along the dotted lines. If you stray slightly off the line, it's not a problem - the dots will disappear when the design is bevelled.

I've found that these 'craftaids' can be used many times over, because the little pimples on the back of the film are not flattened when the design is transferred onto the leather.

They take a little time to prepare, but can save an awful lot of tracing time!

Terry

pic1a.jpg

pic2a.jpg

pic3a.jpg

pic4a.jpg

pic5a.jpg

pic6a.jpg

pic1a.jpg

pic2a.jpg

pic3a.jpg

pic4a.jpg

pic5a.jpg