LTC

Any Tutorial For This Knot?

does anyone happen to have a tutorial or something on youtube showing how to make a turkshead knot with a ring around the circumference of it? if so, please post it here...been trying to build a pacecounter with some beads and thought it would look good on there.

here is a pic of the knot I'm talking about

http://www.m998.com/images/ringknot.jpg

I know it looks like a spanish ring knot around a separate knot, but from my looking for info on this, I think it is one single knot.

thanks for any help on that...

Can't get the photo to show up. Please insert the photo here so we can see what you're takin about.

Edited by KnotHead

If you click on the link, you can see it. I just checked it just now and it works.

I tried to attach it as an image, but since this forum software doesn't work right it wouldn't let me do that.

Anyway, I just clicked on the link and the pic showed correctly.

Pic came up OK for me. My opinion is that it is a ring knot over a separate knot. My main reasoning is that the strings in the under knot appear to be smaller than those in the ring knot. I think a ring knot under on each side with a turkshead over them would leave the center indented, ring knot on top set into the indentation. interesting knot anyway, we'll see what comes up on it. Buck

Edited by bucksnort

Thanks for posting that. I know you said before you didn't know what base knot that was, so I tried to find it today. looks like a "ginfer" knot to me. does that look right to you? The book I have that shows it only has one long "part" on each side of the short parts in the middle. now I need to figure out how to add another long part to each side and I'll have the same base knot then.

I'm not sure it would look the same if trying to tie it on a regular gaucho knot.

Edited by LTC

Far from expert with knots but the biggest difference I see between the OP pic and tutorial is the pic appears to double back on the third set of strands where the tutorial doubles back on the 1st set of strands. Both knots look great. Put on the list for must try at some time in the future.

LTC it does appear to be a ginfer braided into a base knot, I dont have my book handy to confirm.

no, i said the base knot was a ginfer knot. not the one around the outside of it.

Yep. It's a Ginefer knot.

Brian...

Thanks for posting that. I know you said before you didn't know what base knot that was, so I tried to find it today. looks like a "ginfer" knot to me. does that look right to you? The book I have that shows it only has one long "part" on each side of the short parts in the middle. now I need to figure out how to add another long part to each side and I'll have the same base knot then.

I'm not sure it would look the same if trying to tie it on a regular gaucho knot.

Yep. It's a Ginefer knot.

Brian...

oh good. well I read on another thread that there was a good tutorial for the ginfer knot on your website, but I wasn't able to find it. the book I have only shows the 9 part 8 bight one and the 6 part 5 bight. but neither of those are the same as the base knot in the link you posted earlier.

i'll keep looking. if someone knows which ginfer knot that is or has a tutorial for it pls let me know.

I don't think that it has to be the same as the one you see pictured. You should be able to work that stitch into any sized ginefer knot.

Brian...

yeah i probably could but i don't want to. i want it to be the same size base knot so it has more base knot showing on each side of the ring knot. that's why i'm asking how to make the exact same knot in the original pdf you posted. thanks

so no one knows how to tie that specific ginfer knot then huh? i am sure there must be more than one single book that shows that specific knot. i bet some of yall know how to tie it too. lol

i'm not very good yet so i don't think i can figure it out.

if someone can do a tutorial for this knot i will make a youtube video for it so that others will be able to learn it too. i don't think stuff like this should be treated like it's some sort of State secret or something.

Go to KHWW and look for the (OMG it is so Awesome) grid maker and use that to design the knot you want it might take a little practice to get it right but the grid maker will show you step by step where each strand goes as well as a complete over under top peg bottom peg guide then use Knotheades tut to add the ring around the outside.

yeah i don't know how to use that thing and i know i definitely wouldn't be able to figure out a ginfer knot with it. i'll try but i'll come back to let you know when i can't get it to work lol

thanks for the link there but there is nothing useful in that thread. i tried tying one using the sequence given in it and it didn't work. saw it a few days ago when i started trying to find info on this knot thanks

I think the knot is in Bruce Grant's book too. Those instructions worked for me, but I had tied the knot before and just couldn't recall the pattern.

the over under on that thread didn't look at all like either one of the ginfer knots i've tied. i tried the grant book too and didn't see it. not that i can actually follow any of his drawings anyway but i'll check again

Maybe these corrections will help:

three wraps

Make 4 wraps or you can't go under one over 3

Down UNDER 1 OVER3
UP U1 O3
D O1 U1 03
U O1 U1 03
D U1 O1 U1 O3
U U1 O1 U1 03
D U2 01 U1 O3
U U2 01 U1 O3
D U3 O1 U1 O3
U U3 FINISHED?

ooooohhh........ok i will try it that way and see if i can get it to work. :) thank you.

Well let's see if you can make this ginfer knot from these pdf files. If you can make this one you should be able to stitch around the one in the pdf file.

Attached:

Illustration pdf

GinferKnot9x8.pdf

Written Instructions.

GinferKnot9x8Instructions.pdf

Brian...

i tied the 9P x 8B ginfer knot this weekend and it is not the same as the base knot in the pic in the tutorial you posted or in the pic i posted originally. it's much less wide than that one. i want it to be exactly the same as those because the proportions look better that way. thanks

Well let's see if you can make this ginfer knot from these pdf files. If you can make this one you should be able to stitch around the one in the pdf file.

Attached:

Illustration pdf

attachicon.gifGinferKnot9x8.pdf

Written Instructions.

attachicon.gifGinferKnot9x8Instructions.pdf

Brian...

Edited by LTC

What promotions are you talkin about?