Sign in to follow this  
Shorts

Wow - Barge Glue

I'm punching the stitch holes on holsters I've glued with Barge - it is difficult! Prior to Barge I used 3M Super Adhesive. It worked great, I just used the tube pretty fast and that stuff is expensive. Then I tried some Bondo brand 'G Clear' (Japanese) that's specific for leather. It worked fine for a bit, but on this new leather it seemed to fuse the contact layers, but the edges would end up cracking apart. Things were still glued, but there was a crack that I didn't find very sightly on my edges. Made me question the long-time durability of it completely.

So, you folks punching through Barge, any tips? Am I going to have to go into super-maintenance mode on my awl?

Edited by Shorts

I'm punching the stitch holes on holsters I've glued with Barge - it is difficult! Prior to Barge I used 3M Super Adhesive. It worked great, I just used the tube pretty fast and that stuff is expensive. Then I tried some Bondo brand 'G Clear' (Japanese) that's specific for leather. It worked fine for a bit, but on this new leather it seemed to fuse the contact layers, but the edges would end up cracking apart. Things were still glued, but there was a crack that I didn't find very sightly on my edges. Made me question the long-time durability of it completely.

So, you folks punching through Barge, any tips? Am I going to have to go into super-maintenance mode on my awl?

Oh my gosh I'm out of my mind! I'm using Gorilla Glue, not Barge.

Shorts....VENTILATION, very important.

Ken

Shorts....VENTILATION, very important.

Ken

If you're stitching and not lacing, I would just use leatherweld or Fiebings leather cement. Dries clear, strong bond, and very flexible.

Marlon

Oh my gosh I'm out of my mind! I'm using Gorilla Glue, not Barge.

:blush:

Marlon, I'll see what I can order from Tandy. Glue and black dye are the only things I can normally buy locally. But I may switch it up if it can be shipped to me. I'll check out the Feibing's cement. Thanks

Shorts,

I have handsewn and machine sewn through gallons of Barge. I have not seen what you are talking about. Barge dries to a pretty flexible bond, and has never been a problem sewing for me. On freshly glued pieces, the only thing I ever see is glue boogers forming on the machine needles if I didn't use thread lube. I would try sewing a scrap of two peces of whatever you are sewing without the glue - just clamp them and sew a short section. My suspicion is not the Barge but a an awl or leather issue.

Shorts,

I have handsewn and machine sewn through gallons of Barge. I have not seen what you are talking about. Barge dries to a pretty flexible bond, and has never been a problem sewing for me. On freshly glued pieces, the only thing I ever see is glue boogers forming on the machine needles if I didn't use thread lube. I would try sewing a scrap of two peces of whatever you are sewing without the glue - just clamp them and sew a short section. My suspicion is not the Barge but a an awl or leather issue.

Thanks Bruce, you are right it isn't Barge. There in my second reply I realized I was using Gorilla Glue :blush: I am glad to hear that Barge has good working qualities. I've yet to try it. No worries if I do!

WOW shorts,

If you used gorilla glue you prob. have to drill the holes.

I use gorilla glue on my day job, it hardens like cement!

So try using a drill, or roto tool.

GOOD LUCK !

PS. Bardge is great. I use it all the time.

I just bought a gallon of Master cement, the supplier recomended it.

ANYBODY EVER USE MASTER CEMENT ??

Edited by craftsman827

<br />WOW shorts,<br />If you used gorilla glue you prob. have to drill the holes.<br />I use gorilla glue on my day job, it hardens like cement!<br />So try using a drill, or roto tool.<br /> GOOD LUCK !<br />PS. Bardge is great. I use it all the time.<br />I just bought a gallon of Master cement, the supplier recomended it.<br />ANYBODY EVER USE MASTER CEMENT ??<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Yeah, this second piece I have glued up has been sitting so it's all cured, it still needs to be punched. The first holster I got punched and sewn and so it's molding now - thank goodness. I think the upside is that I use a VERY thin amount. The bottle warned of not overapplying so, for once, I heeded :D

One issue with Gorilla Glue, or any polyurethane glue for that matter, is that it expands. The more moisture it has to work with the more it will do it. I used it to stick a piece of wood back on a door, and following the directions I wet both sides. The piece is permanently attached, but sticks out about 1/8 from the rest of the door.

I've had no problems going through barge, so I'll also recommend it (keep in mind the rules about having wickedly sharp tools). But like Ken said.....VENTILATION!!! Instead of tanned cowhide, you'll be seeing pink elephants. Reminds me of a placard at one of my favorite watering holes " Enter here optimistically, leave here misty optically."

Mike