steadybrook

Singer 97-10

Anybody using a Singer 97-10?Looking for feed back on this big machine.How do they sew,parts available?

I know bobbins are available as I sell them and would have to do some research to confirm that the hook and shuttle are similar to others but that is about it. Organ and Singer still list the needle as available but whether or not they actually make them is another question.

I have a Singer class 97 [model 97-6]....picture of it in the gallery.

they use a small or short bobbin [singer# 11910]...same as used in Singer 7-5, 7-9, 7-34....

Fairly common ..priced <US$6 ea for the original style or less for the plain generic ones [check ebay]

Needles are the issue , depending on your intended use ..

for leather ..97x4.. these are rare now

for cloth webbing ..97x3..still plenty around

link to a previous request for needles...

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=34978

there was a interesting discussion regarding this machine sometime back.

that got some enthusiastic responses against buying a old "clunker" 97

but this machine suited me at the time and should continue to do so.

Thanks for the reply. I bought another one man saddle shop and this is one of the machines,looks in good shape and runs well. Where is the picture of yours located?I will try a supplier here in Canada next week for needles. I downloaded a manual online. Looks like it was quite a machine in its time well built for industrial use.

Edited by steadybrook

Found the picture of yours in the Gallery. thanks.

OK, I am sort of pushing my own cart here but some of the ones on ebay are pretty rough looking. A seller outside the US might have better looking ones and even including freight they might be cheaper.

forgot to mention that you "can" use a 794 system needle ,but it is a shorter needle.

there is a 1000H needle [long], but of limited range and not much stock around I think..Bob Kovar would know.

Hi Darren..re: bobbins..sounds interesting....now that I remembered ...let me know what you can get as I have 3 machines that use this size..

Singer's 97-6 , 7-5 plus a ["Techsew"] 180...[well not a Techsew per se'... different brand ,but it came from the same Chinese factory]

Raphael Sewing Machine sell a bobbin ..how does this compare?

I have a fresh new box of 100 and they are probably comparable to what Raphael would offer.

forgot to mention that you "can" use a 794 system needle ,but it is a shorter needle.

there is a 1000H needle [long], but of limited range and not much stock around I think..Bob Kovar would know.

Hi Darren..re: bobbins..sounds interesting....now that I remembered ...let me know what you can get as I have 3 machines that use this size..

Singer's 97-6 , 7-5 plus a ["Techsew"] 180...[well not a Techsew per se'... different brand ,but it came from the same Chinese factory]

Hello!..Have had a 97-10 in shop for close to 30 years,what I learned to sew on.Good solid machine.Only problem is finding needles for it. Have never had to try to find parts for it though.It's used several times a week.Best part is,I don't ever have to worry about anyone stealing it!...Ken

I have one too! I love it! I have 20 or more 97x4 needles I recieved when I got it! I have several sized of needles in the 3, and I am try out using my knife sharpener to "cut" the round point needles to a diamond shape!

I have some 25 sized needles, but they wont fit the machine! I read somewher that there are different presser feet and guide parts for the smaller sized needles!

Anyone have a set they would part with?

Thanks,,Good to see these old machines are still being used.

How would you use a 794 system needle in a 97-10, I am not concerned about the diameter of the needle, but the length . What would you have to adjust to compensate for the shorter needle? I tried everyplace in the US trying to find 97-4 needles without any success. Would cutting off a small piece of the shank of an old needle to compensate for the shorter length, and after putting LockTite or Super Glue on it and inserting it in the needle bar work?

I talked to Ron at Ferdco today! give him a call! its an easy thing to do! he knows exactly what needle to use, and you drop the need bar a little bit to get the hook on the bobbin assembly "timed" its a easy thing to do!

Yes I've sold the 794S to people w/a 97 but I also tell you that you'll be limited to about 1/2" thickness.

Bob

Only quoting Ron from Ferdco, using a 794s serv-1 and dropping the needle bar down just a bit (to line up hook with the center of the groove (forgot proper term) he claims you shpould still be able to sew an inch, just lose a little of the foot lift...

I haven't tried it just yet...

Yes I've sold the 794S to people w/a 97 but I also tell you that you'll be limited to about 1/2" thickness.

Bob

Hello All, Been away healing for a very long time. I also have a 97-10 that I sew with and really like the machine. You do not have to go with the 794 needle system. I use landis one needles, size 200(25) leather point. You can buy these from Eli Slayball. He ones the Landis Sales company in Illinois 217-543-3464. The 97-10 has a 3.00" needle and the landis one has a 3.50" needle. I think you all know what to do now, cut the Landis one needle down to 3.00." Remove the material from the top side, not the pointed end. lol Now the Landis one needle is longer from the thread eye to the point. Only by very little, but enough to make the needle dull. Just take a die grinder or dremel and dust the shuttle drive so the needle will clear. Only take a minute or two and is well worth it to do so. Hope this helps.

The 7x3 & 7x4 needle is the same as a 794 needle which won't work in a 97-10 without adjusting the needle bar, The 97-10 takes a 97-3 or a 97-4 needle which aren't made anymore.

He's right you have to lower the needlebar down to make the 7x3 needles work & then it will sew only 1/2" do to the end of the needlebar hitting to foot.Which is ok if you don't need to sew very thick but I doubt if it'll work very good that way for most people.

The story I heard about 97 series history was that it was made for the military in WWII to use in parachute lofts and for cargo plane load riggings. There were several configurations for various uses in the lofts where the stuff was made and/or repaired. Don't know about this but its a good story.

Edited by oltoot

Oltoot

They were certainly used in making parachutes, specifically the harness straps. Don't know if you've used one of these but the machine more closely resembles a metal punch press than a sewing machine.

THANKS FOR THE STORY

Possibly the 97-10 was sold to the military for use during WWII, but is was made years before that. It goes back to 1914 , I have been told it was used to sew the oak slats on the canvas aprons for the swatters used to harvest grain before combines were invented. I have some size 30 needles that are the size of a ball point refill.

Does anybody know where I can find the wax pot for a Singer 97-10? Also whats the best thing to do when it comes to needles is it to modify the 794 LR needle. Can someone give me all the options someone would have for needles when the 1000 needles are absolete. Thanks!

Ralph

I haven't yet contacted any needle companies, but generally speaking manufacturers will produce an item of the type they make, made to your specifications providing you meet some minimum order requirement. Admittedly, that amount could be quite high. However, one may be able to get a commitment from several distributors to purchase a certain amount which cumulatively will meet the manufacturers minimum order requirement. Some enterprising youngster could possibly make some money doing this, if not one of us old farts may have to pull the wagon lest we run outta needles. Oh yeah, if you have a sample of what you want made it makes things a lot easier.