Go2Tex

Fresh Off The Bench...

Well, here ya go folks. Put a lot of work into this one. What'dya think? It's a 14" seat on a Timberline Lady Wade, W&C leather, antiqued with medium brown. Hansen's sterling overlay trim.

emma__s_wade_1.jpg

emma__s_wade_2.jpg

emmas_wade_3.jpg

post-1925-1213619800_thumb.jpg

post-1925-1213619824_thumb.jpg

post-1925-1213619838_thumb.jpg

Beautiful work, I'm interested to see that you used W&C leather.... I'm using my first shipment of it now. I really like it, extremely clean.

Once again an outstanding job, and thanks for showing it to us.

David Theobald

Fantastic! About how much time is invested in a saddle of this caliber?

That is so much nice work that my head spins and almost fall off, all those beautiful little details, sigh :clapping::clapping::clapping:

Tom

You sure do some puuurrdy work.

Regards Buff

:You_Rock_Emoticon:  Compleyely awesome!! Anyone would be proud to put this saddle into a place of honor in their tack room. I am jealous. Thanx for sharing.

Storm

Great work - again, Brent. So how's the new shop working out? What is coming out the door looks good. Seems like everybody has posted some pretty outstanding work in the last several months. Is this one for a show or a customer?

Great work - again, Brent. So how's the new shop working out? What is coming out the door looks good. Seems like everybody has posted some pretty outstanding work in the last several months. Is this one for a show or a customer?

It's a custom order and I'm working now on trying to get it to him. Thanks for compliments, one and all. The shop is really making things soooo much easier. Lots of room to lay stuff down and forget where I put it. The window AC from WallyWorld keeps it a pleasant 78-82 degrees even when the temp outside is a scorching 99!!!!!!!!!

Nice thing is, though, it's been really dry. The leather dries out fairly slowly so doing large pieces is not so stressful. I still have to wait for the perfect ripeness. So, I have time to go look for that thing I can't find.....

That's one beautiful saddle, amazing amount of work in this. Thanks for sharing.

Ken

All right, all right.... flattery will get you everywhere. What I'm bracing for is some of them highly critical, "ya shoulda got them jocks tighter", kinda posts from the ol' pros. ....... well, ok. Here's another pic that you can go over with a fine tooth comb. .....

emma__s_wade_4.jpg ..........well?

OK, then, how 'bout this'un?

emma__s_wade_5.jpg

post-1925-1213644614_thumb.jpg

post-1925-1213646140_thumb.jpg

Edited by Go2Tex

Brent; Very nice work.

I thought of you when I was stitching the horn...........

All right, all right.... flattery will get you everywhere. What I'm bracing for is some of them highly critical, "ya shoulda got them jocks tighter", kinda posts from the ol' pros. ....... well, ok. Here's another pic that you can go over with a fine tooth comb. .....

OK I'll bite............. Pretty nice saddle for a TEXAN! That'll probably get me in trouble.

Really clean lines. Nice balance. Nice execution of tooling and subtle border detail. Jockeys are nice and tight..... and still line up properly. Nice color too. It is hard to criticize a saddle this well made.

When you cropped the photo of the cantle you made the outside edge look uneven and I think it is smooth based on the other pics.

Stitching on the cantle binding varies a bit from stitch. This is a result of the awl blade beint at a different twist from one hole to the next. With a diamond awl, keep one flat edge parallel to the edge of the binding. Did you stitch with a lock stitch or with two needles?

Picture from top down shows the seat side jockeys fairly wide, especially for a small ladies seat.

You did a great job, Keith

More attaboys here Tex. Extra nice job. I envy you fellers that can carve that well. JW

I am in awe of this saddle, Brent! I also have to say I appreciated Keith's feedback, as I could also apply it to my own work. But, very, very nice work! :notworthy:

Kate

Brent, just an all out nice job, not much to add except maybe keep tooling on up under the rear D and get rid of that one plain spot is the only thing I could suggest. Beatiful saddle all the way around.

Aahh, now that's what I was looking for. ....some really good critiques from you Yankees. heh heh. But, seriously, mucho gracias ya'll for taking a good look at it.

I agree with your points too. Yeah, the cantle binding....... I use 2 needles, a Douglas awl and blade, as sharp as I can make it, plenty of candle wax to make it slide through nice and easy. I'm using regular machine thread, 277 bond. It matches the machine stitching, and sure is easier to run through the holes, but I guess a heavier thread might help give it a more even appearance. The lighter thread really shows up the imperfections of each stitch. A more consistent pull on each stitch when tightening also helps when I can manage it. That will cause it to look eneven when the holes are actually spaced correctly, I've noticed. (note to self: order heavier thread).

As for the cantle smoothness..... Yeah, from the photo it's probably the cropping job, but I did have more trouble than usual cutting it off. I think the problem is trying to cut it off and round it while it's still not completely dry.

The seat jocks are cut kinda low and that might lead to the wide appearance from the top view. It's a fairly narrow seat and the rigging and fenders are pushing it out a bit. Guess I coulda got them ears pulled up tighter, though. :)

I sure do appreciate the comments.

Nice rig, great carve job, it'sheridan style but better, you have a lot more going on in that carve job than a lot of the sheridan style carving I see.

the only thing my eye really picks up on is how much shearling I see from the side photos, I am not sure if it just the angle of the photos or if a little more shearling could have been trimed out, at least for my taste.

Nice rig, great carve job, it'sheridan style but better, you have a lot more going on in that carve job than a lot of the sheridan style carving I see.

the only thing my eye really picks up on is how much shearling I see from the side photos, I am not sure if it just the angle of the photos or if a little more shearling could have been trimed out, at least for my taste.

Thanks for the comments, Steve.

Yeah, there is a lot goin' on in there. Maybe a bit too much goin' on. It's a little busy in spots. I'm going to simplify the next one a bit, I think. Always looking to improve it.

Now, about that wool..... I actually beveled it back pretty good all around but it just keeps popping back out there on the edge, plus that side pic probably shows it from a low enough angle you're seeing a little more of it. (note to self: order new electric clippers)

Top picture

First and foremost...this is a great looking saddle. I REALLY like the tooling.....A Sheridan style with an engraving flare thrown in. Great execution on it (depth, flow, etc..). The pictures are nicely done as well with the fading border.

A couple of things jumped out at me. The tooling abruptly stops at the rear dee. You could have extended that past the rear dees. The other item is that the shearling appears not to be beveled the same towards the rear of the skirt (May be the picture but it looks as if there is a transition there).

Cantle from the rear

The shearling also appears to be uneven here as well.. A couple of places almost appear as though the shearling was nicked....once again it may just be the picture.

Horn/Fork Closeup

I have nothing...Looks great.

Top View & Cantle View towards rear

Cropping of the pictures could have been a little neater. These both throw you off in looking at the pictures. The cantle shot throws you off quite a bit in the smoothness of the cantle. (top is actually pretty good except for the white showing around the edges.

The cantle stitching appears to be a little off on some of the stitches (some variability there).

I really like the fact that you took so many pictures that detail your work, Documenting great work like this helps market your work. This is great work and your pictures can only help you sell more work. Keep up the great work.

Regards,

Ben

Yeah, there is a lot goin' on in there. Maybe a bit too much goin' on. It's a little busy in spots. I'm going to simplify the next one a bit, I think. Always looking to improve it.

Now, about that wool..... I actually beveled it back pretty good all around but it just keeps popping back out there on the edge, plus that side pic probably shows it from a low enough angle you're seeing a little more of it. (note to self: order new electric clippers)

I don't think it is too busy. You have too many cross over stems too close together is all. Adding a few more filler items will help break up the monotony that sometimes happens in Sheridan style tooling as well as add more interest in the pattern. Pattern is a bit choppy and hard to follow at leaves and some of the junctions. Not having stems circling all around the flowers all along edges helps to avoid the "grid" look also associated with Sheridan style.

As for the wool; try carding the wool along the edges and re-trimming. sometimes takes a couple of trimmings to get that smooth final bevel. Not so drastic as new clippers!

Another question regarding your handstitching: do you use an overstitch wheel after you stitch?

Keith

It is beautiful! I am amazed to see all the talent on this forum!

Well, here ya go folks. Put a lot of work into this one. What'dya think? It's a 14" seat on a Timberline Lady Wade, W&C leather, antiqued with medium brown. Hansen's sterling overlay trim.

emma__s_wade_1.jpg

emma__s_wade_2.jpg

emmas_wade_3.jpg

That is pretty, very pretty.

Yeah, I got nothing. You saddle people kill me on the commitment you have to a project.