KitKat

New - Heavy Leather Stitcher For Sale

Hi All.

I've got a new Heavy Duty Leather Stitcher for sale. It is a Sewline-SL5-1. It is the same machine as the GA5-1 only sold under another name. I purchased this machine for a freind who thought they wanted to get into the leather business. As it turns out, they changed their mind shortly after I ordered it. Needless to say, I''m pretty much stuck with it now. So it must go.. Asking 1200.00 ( Includes shipping via UPS in 3 seperate "original" boxes).

BTW - I've taken this machine out of the boxes and put it together. It runs GREAT and is suitable for a variety of leathercrafts as well as webbing, biothane etc. Would make a nice starter machine, or a good second machine just to have for sewing other materials.

Anyway, Here are the spec's on it. Features:

* Heavy Duty Single Needle Lockstitch

* Cylinder Bed

* Extra Large Oscillating Shuttle Hook

* Suitable for Stitching Hollow, Tubular and Curved Articles

* For Sewing Medium To Heavy Materials Including Vinyl, Leather, Canvas, Saddling, etc.

* Perfect Machine for Heavier Applications

* 1/2 Inch Presser Foot Lift

* All New Special Cylinder-Bed Table

* New 110 Volt Industrial Motor

* All New Accessories

* Manual

Included is an edge guide as well as several packages of needles in various sizes.

post-9512-025081400 1336514104_thumb.jpg

Edited by KitKat

This is a knock of the Singer 45 it is not suitable for leather the feed dogs are very aggressive and scuff up the bottom of your project.

Hi All.

I've got a new Heavy Duty Leather Stitcher for sale. It is a Sewline-SL5-1. It is the same machine as the GA5-1 only sold under another name. I purchased this machine for a freind who thought they wanted to get into the leather business. As it turns out, they changed their mind shortly after I ordered it. Needless to say, I''m pretty much stuck with it now. So it must go.. Asking 1200.00 ( Includes shipping via UPS in 3 seperate "original" boxes).

BTW - I've taken this machine out of the boxes and put it together. It runs GREAT and is suitable for a variety of leathercrafts as well as webbing, biothane etc. Would make a nice starter machine, or a good second machine just to have for sewing other materials.

Anyway, Here are the spec's on it. Features:

* Heavy Duty Single Needle Lockstitch

* Cylinder Bed

* Extra Large Oscillating Shuttle Hook

* Suitable for Stitching Hollow, Tubular and Curved Articles

* For Sewing Medium To Heavy Materials Including Vinyl, Leather, Canvas, Saddling, etc.

* Perfect Machine for Heavier Applications

* 1/2 Inch Presser Foot Lift

* All New Special Cylinder-Bed Table

* New 110 Volt Industrial Motor

* All New Accessories

* Manual

Included is an edge guide as well as several packages of needles in various sizes.

Wow, I didn't know that. I havent gotten the chance to sew anything with it So will be checking this out tomorrow. Will post picture of the result.

One of the most common leather sewing machines ever built!!!

It is most certainly suitable for leather sewing.

Hi all.

I've noticed the comments about the Singer 45K 25 and its cloned class machines not being suitable for sewing Leather.

Well I must be a fool as I used these and still use them for my BEST Harness Decorative stitching. For accurate, neat sewing, I've not been able to get better.

Well they do leave a Feed Dog mark on the under surface, if you don't polish the Teeth well to start with. If this is done they dont break the surface of the Leather and the marks are easily polished off with a rubbing stick or bone.

45 K operators were an actual Trade in years gone by, all the Factory work was done by them. Hand Bags, Wallets, School Bags, Brief Cases, Surgical Footwear, Harness Work, Saddle Making, the list is endless. So please don't knock them. Trouble is nowa-days what was a days work for so many is now a Craft for so Few! We have to go back and see how they did it so well?

Kindest Regards.

im Saddler.

One of the most common leather sewing machines ever built!!!

It is most certainly suitable for leather sewing.

Edited by jimsaddler

Busted,

All of the "clone" machines out there are knockoffs of something made by Singer, Brother, Juki, and a few others. They are usually knockoffs of popular machines with high production numbers. There is nothing wrong with a knockoff of the Singer 45, they were a mainstay of factory work for so many years. That being said, no production "out of the box" machine will really be good for leatherwork. These machines require some modification to do a really good job. If you have read any of my posts, I most always recommend getting a "first leather" machine from an established dealer. They know how to set these machines up to sew leather, and what parts to swap out or modify for the job. I'm not saying the 45 is the best machine for leather right now. Clones of the Juki and Adler (modified for leather) are more suited to the task, and the medium sized machines based on Pfaff, Brother, and Singer are better in the low weight world. In the harness world, the old No.6, No.9, Campbell, Randall, and Landis machines still outperform anything new today, they sew straight, fast, and tight.

So, don't put the 45 down, it can still do the job with a few modifications. Feed marks are something we have to learn to correct, even on newer machines as leather comes in all grades and finishes, and a smoothing stick (bone folder or modeling tool) should be in everyone's toolkit.

Art