schristopherson

Hand Crank Sewing Recommendations

I am looking recommendations on a inexpensive, hand crank machine. The older machines look like a nice option but I am not sure which ones are easiest to find parts for or get serviced. I am typically sewing 2 to 3 layers of light weight upholstery, veg tan or suede leather. All layers combines are around 3/16 to 1/4" thick.

Thanks in advance,

Spencer

came up with a 211 singer or 111 singer around 350 in okay condition and 450 for good condition on ebay.

I've had one for nearly a year (Able 290) and TBH I'm over it! Hand cranked means you only have one hand for the job and getting anything bar a straight line out of it is a PITA. The machine works well enough but it's just not much use for larger projects or anything with curves :)

I've had one for nearly a year (Able 290) and TBH I'm over it! Hand cranked means you only have one hand for the job and getting anything bar a straight line out of it is a PITA. The machine works well enough but it's just not much use for larger projects or anything with curves :)

I have never actually used a hand crank. I used to have access to a Consew industrial but most of the work I do is slow with lots of direction changes. The Consew was just too fast. I found myself cranking it by hand more often than not so I figured my next machine might as well be a hand crank :)

came up with a 211 singer or 111 singer around 350 in okay condition and 450 for good condition on ebay.

I searched around on ebay a bit. It looks like most of those are motorized.

Get u a cheap nice Singer 111 or 211 and a servo motor...then u put a larger hand wheel on it.....if you think you need to hand wheel than do....then when u have a fast straight line stomp it...having a servo motor is as having both worlds....I have all my machines with servos...I can go soooo slow, when the needle comes down...I go and get me a beer and when I comeback the needle is just entering the leather....haha...but hand stitching i often needed on my vinyl tuff and wallet or so...

jimbob

Get u a cheap nice Singer 111 or 211 and a servo motor...then u put a larger hand wheel on it.....if you think you need to hand wheel than do....then when u have a fast straight line stomp it...having a servo motor is as having both worlds....I have all my machines with servos...I can go soooo slow, when the needle comes down...I go and get me a beer and when I comeback the needle is just entering the leather....haha...but hand stitching i often needed on my vinyl tuff and wallet or so...

jimbob

About how much would a servo motor setup cost?

I believe there was a video of a man on youtube under Arthur porter or something similar that had an industrial machine and he did a quick modification to get it to stitch slow. That might be something you want to look into.

Servo motors can be bought for about $110.00 + shipping for a Family Sew FS-550s

As Wiz said, they are fairly affordable....I got two of them and absolutly love them !!

Got mine from Toledo industrial sewing machines...shipping and all about 160 or so..?!

Also as being said, you can build yoursel a reducer....put a super small pully on your motor...that all will help to slow it dow,,,but in the long run you will be tickled with a servo motor !!

Jim

Go back 150 years and hand crank was all you had and it takes patience and practice. Hand crank is a great starting point when learning to sew before moving on to other methods.

Many Saddlers still love their treadle/handcrank Pearson 6's. A treadle machine is more controllable than a servo version as you can run extremely slowly or quickly with ease.

A treadle I can handle, it's the one-handed sewing I find difficult.

A treadle I can handle, it's the one-handed sewing I find difficult.

Maybe you need the electric drill adaptor

There is one? Do you have information on it?

There is one? Do you have information on it?

It consists of an on/off foot pedal and an adapter that replaces the nut on the handwheel. Take a 900w variable speed drill, set the speed on low, lock the trigger and plug it in through the prewired foot pedal.

Sounds great, how much?

I ended up getting one of these. I am mostly sewing leather cuffs and mostly in straight lines so I figured it would work for my purposes. I have it all set up and running and am loving it so far. It will crank through 5oz vegetable tan easy as can be!