Widget

Carved Belt "order Of Events" Question

Happy weekend everyone,

I'm a very new to the leather world and so far have either only stamped belts, or attempted Sheridan style carving on small items (a checkbook back and a wallet). While my skill leaves quite a bit to be desired, I'm going to attempt a Sheridan belt next.

Here's my question...I have a 60-hour a week job and three small kids, so my leather working time is sporadic at best and generally doesn't come in long periods of time. If I'm working a repeating belt pattern (it's a 1" pattern from Al Stohlman's book that I've blown up to a 1.5" pattern....what's the best way for a good result? Should I 1) Do all the cutting in a sitting (figuring I won't get more than that), then next time do the beveling, next time the shading, etc., or 2) try to do the full work on one repetition of the pattern, and next time I work try to finish another repetition of the pattern?

Also, is there any "danger" in having to re-case a piece multiple times? I'm figuring it would probably take me about 7 of my normal "sessions" to finish a belt...but sometimes I can only fit in one "session" per week.

I hope my question is clear-ish, I'm not quite sure how to say what I'm trying to say :-)

Thanks for any advice!

Edited by Widget

Widget,

I would definitely do all of one step at a time if possible. Do all your initial swivel knife work first, then as you have time, progress to each of the stamping tools.

Letting the leather dry out between sessions and then re-casing on a belt is not an issue. I often end up with odd projects that get shelved for months/years before I get back to completing them, all at various stages of being done. When completed, you will never realize the time frame that the work was done over.

Good luck and post some pics when you get done.

JJ

My advice, since I kind of work the same way, is to case the entire piece and then wrap it in Saran wrap in several sections. This way you can pull off one section and work it without the rest of the belt drying out. Several re-casings will effect the leather, but many won't notice it. I usually do my guitar straps in either 3rds or 4ths. Within that section do everything in the normal order. If you can't finish that section, wet the back with a spray bottle then re-wrap it and put in the fridge to come back to later. I also keep my wrapped leather in a plastic bag in the fridge. Honestly I don't think that part makes too much difference, but I feel like it's an added layer to keep the moisture level right.

Eventually you might move onto very large projects that would be IMPOSSIBLE to finish in one sitting, so it's important to find the method that works best for you now.