brmoore134

New To Crafting And Looking For Help And A Good Start

I am hoping to start making belts soon but I don't have any of the tools I need and I was wondering if anyone knew of a good started kit or just a short list they can give me to start making simple beaded belts. I also want to do some small carvings in the belts too. I am just looking to start into leather working and hopefully I will learn enough to make some solid products. Also does anyone know of a good book to get that will really help me get a good start? And one final question is what is a good work bench to use most people say they use granite on here? Any help would be great, Thanks.

Wow ,How has this slipped through the cracks for so long . Just is not fair to not get a answer your questions certainly were clear enough . I can help with the bench : I have used a solid core door cut down and just put leggs on it . Worked fine with a Tandy converor belt top then put your granite on top of that . Most people who have bought cheap tools seem to regret it ,so I would maybe save up and get 3 really good tools and start there . Just no subisitute for quality . Rather than buy a bunch of books why not spend some time at the library and see what they offer . Next you cant go wrong with getting a subscription to " Leather Crafters And Saddlers Journal " Maybe get some back issues hard to go wrong with these . Bruce Grants book on braiding is a must . I am truely sorry that your inquiry and request has sat for so long here . Please dont give up on leather because of that . Welcome and please try again . Bill

Wow ,How has this slipped through the cracks for so long . Just is not fair to not get a answer your questions certainly were clear enough . I can help with the bench : I have used a solid core door cut down and just put leggs on it . Worked fine with a Tandy converor belt top then put your granite on top of that . Most people who have bought cheap tools seem to regret it ,so I would maybe save up and get 3 really good tools and start there . Just no subisitute for quality . Rather than buy a bunch of books why not spend some time at the library and see what they offer . Next you cant go wrong with getting a subscription to " Leather Crafters And Saddlers Journal " Maybe get some back issues hard to go wrong with these . Bruce Grants book on braiding is a must . I am truely sorry that your inquiry and request has sat for so long here . Please dont give up on leather because of that . Welcome and please try again . Bill

I agree with Bluesman, this slipped by way too long, sorry. As I understand it, you want to make belts and are looking for a short list of tools for that purpose. I'll post one and if I miss anything maybe someone will chime in with the remainder.

If you are going to buy leather and cut your own belts, then you'll need a strap cutter, alternatively you can buy straps already split to 1-1/2" or whatever and eliminate the necessity for a strap cutter.

Here's the short list:

Safety Beveler (used to skive the buckle end of the belt)

Razor Knife (good quality)

hole punch set (mini set would suffice at first with the replaceable punches, they're sold at Tandy and SLC, etc)

Edge Beveler (good quality, and learn how to strop it and sharpen it when it needs it), If I only had 1 it would be a No. 3

Edge Slicker (I wouldn't get the plastic one but for an inexpensive way to go, the wooden ones that Tandy sells with multiple grooves are pretty good)

Sand Paper (I would get 120 grit for the back and edges)

Ruler (Best to get steel with a cork back)

Tape Measurer

Additional Items, not necessary but useful:

Oblong Punch (Good Quality don't skimp here, I like the CS Osborne ones) - 1-1/4" is pretty standard

Edge Creaser

Strap End Punch (I would buy the larger pointed one or Round one your choice, but get it oversized and learn to center it and make it even to cut all sizes adequately)

You will need either Line 24 snaps or chicago screws to install on the buckle end unless you want to sew them permanent, then you will need harness needles and waxed thread. If you use snaps, you will need a snap setter and anvil set and some patience to learn how to use them.

Then decide if you are going to carve designs on the belts or tool them with decorative stamps, if you are going to carve then you need:

Swivel Knife

Bevelers, smooth and checkered in tiny, small and medium at least

Camoflage Tools, small (belt designs aren't very big and they are tough to carve well because of their size)

Veiners, small fluted and what we call a wiggler.

Pear Shader, small and medium

Background tool of your choice

Probably a mules foot and some stops depending on your carving style (these are mostly used in western floral or sheridan)

If you want to tool designs then:

Border Stamps

Basket Weave Stamp

Veiner (they make good borders)

As for books there is a book on belt stamping:

Tandy and SLC carry a couple of books, "Belts Galore", "Lucky 8", etc the Lucky Eight is misleading in that it contains over 50 designs used on belts.

Hope this helps and welcome to the site.

Chief

Edited by Chief31794