Sign in to follow this  
dfivdayz

Hand Stitching Exotic...dang

i am new to the leather world and i've got a technical question. when you hand stitch lizard-stingray etc..how do you do it?..i am having a problem with my hole not being perfect ie torn, oblong...and how are you doing the layout of your holes on top of the skin?...i pre drill my leather and then glue up the skin...i punch my hole from the back so it goes through the skin...it just doesn't work right

any ideas or ways that i can try would be much appreciated....thanks

i am new to the leather world and i've got a technical question. when you hand stitch lizard-stingray etc..how do you do it?..i am having a problem with my hole not being perfect ie torn, oblong...and how are you doing the layout of your holes on top of the skin?...i pre drill my leather and then glue up the skin...i punch my hole from the back so it goes through the skin...it just doesn't work right

any ideas or ways that i can try would be much appreciated....thanks

FWIW from the old grumpy one: I inlay exotics, ie. sandwich it between two layers of leather. I think it sets of the exotic to a greater degree.Example. Mike

001-3-1.jpg

Edited by katsass

that is a really nice holster...i have done just a couple of inlay's like your's...it is starting to look better but i'm still learning....i just needed it for the occasion that the skin covers all the top like i did here for my skiver. it just didn't turn out right and my stitching even pulled through sometimes.....thanks for the info

FWIW from the old grumpy one: I inlay exotics, ie. sandwich it between two layers of leather. I think it sets of the exotic to a greater degree.Example. Mike

001-3-1.jpg

post-25005-094395200 1322537357_thumb.jp

post-25005-074318200 1322537372_thumb.jp