Shelly

Spur Strap Blanks

Just wondering if anyone here would be interested in buying spur strap blanks that I've clicked out of my scrap leather (decent stuff) - I save my scraps for these types of things. Chestnut and Russet Hermann Oak, mostly. I can put up pix of the different sizes, styles, etc, and can sell them in 'kits' as blanks - would include a pair of spur straps, with or without button covers, and the buckle ends, with or without a stainless steel buckle, etc. I am trying to figure out what people would be willing to pay for the blanks, and see how much interest there is in this venture...we've already clicked up a big box of straps and button covers, and buckle ends...

I am sure that some members will response with a need. I am responding to keep this thread alive.

Oh, by the way, nice article in Shop Talk! I would really like to learn from such an accomplished leather artist.

Happy Carving!

It would be handy to have a source to purchase different styles. I have 1 die of a basic spur strap pattern, but it would be nice to offer different styles. I would definately be interested.

Maybe offering both a retail price for those that just want 1 or two pair for themselves, and wholesale pricing with a minimum number to order that allows room for resale markup. Pricing is always the toughest part to figure out!

Just wondering if anyone here would be interested in buying spur strap blanks that I've clicked out of my scrap leather (decent stuff) - I save my scraps for these types of things. Chestnut and Russet Hermann Oak, mostly. I can put up pix of the different sizes, styles, etc, and can sell them in 'kits' as blanks - would include a pair of spur straps, with or without button covers, and the buckle ends, with or without a stainless steel buckle, etc. I am trying to figure out what people would be willing to pay for the blanks, and see how much interest there is in this venture...we've already clicked up a big box of straps and button covers, and buckle ends...

Hi Shelly,

Maybe some photos of the different styles you have available? And prices? The button covers already clicked out is a very cool option. Most of us have access to buckles or have them "in stock" or would like to pick out their own. I know with my customers, whatever I don't have in stock is exactly what they want! :lol:

As someone already posted, have a price for a pair or two. Then a price for a lot of 6 pair or more. Flat rate shipping is a good way to go!

Rick

I'd be interested. Let me recover from replacing the alternator in my car, but we may be able to work something out. I live down in Cleburne and can travel to whereever.

Damon

Thanks to all for the feedback - I plan to click out the various strap patterns I have, with measurements on them, so everyone can see what is what. I have various patterns/sizes that will go with the button covers, as I set those up to be 'universal'.

What I'm interested in mostly is what would most of you consider to be a 'fair' amount for each set of blanks? Bear in mind that I can 'customize' to a degree, as I own a 16" band knife that I can level these if you are interested in making a higher end strap that would be lined and stitched...I would probably upcharge only a buck for leveling the straps to your desired thickness. I'd like a 'range' of what you all consider a fair amount, so I can do a bit of research on my end, and come up with an appropriate amount to charge.

I normally sell my basket stamped spur straps, not lined, but with the stitched button cover, and a nice stainless steel buckle, stitched and riveted in place, for $65.00 per pair. This is a 3/8" long basket, in case you are wondering, sometimes smaller, never larger than this. I can charge more for lined/stitched. Because this is my retail price, and, not knowing how everyone here may feel about what they charge for a retail price, I feel the feedback is important.

Will be posting pix later - stay tuned!

Shelly

It would be handy to have a source to purchase different styles. I have 1 die of a basic spur strap pattern, but it would be nice to offer different styles. I would definately be interested.

Maybe offering both a retail price for those that just want 1 or two pair for themselves, and wholesale pricing with a minimum number to order that allows room for resale markup. Pricing is always the toughest part to figure out!

I wasn't planning to sell 'finished' straps, rather, only the blanks, so the leatherworkers here could make their own straps up for resale, with their own shop stamp. If I go to the trouble of making them up here, stamping, buckles, etc, then I'll retail them with my own shop stamp on them...I am mostly interested in marketing the 'blanks', as is, out of the clicker, unless the customer wants them split down in order to line and stitch them on the edges, as well as the button covers...they can be sold without button covers also...

Shelly

I am interested in your blanks. Could you send me some pictures and specs. chapelstonellc@gmail.com

I am sure that some members will response with a need. I am responding to keep this thread alive.

Oh, by the way, nice article in Shop Talk! I would really like to learn from such an accomplished leather artist.

Happy Carving!

Thanks for the compliment on the article!!

I wasn't planning to sell 'finished' straps, rather, only the blanks, so the leatherworkers here could make their own straps up for resale, with their own shop stamp. If I go to the trouble of making them up here, stamping, buckles, etc, then I'll retail them with my own shop stamp on them...I am mostly interested in marketing the 'blanks', as is, out of the clicker, unless the customer wants them split down in order to line and stitch them on the edges, as well as the button covers...they can be sold without button covers also...

Shelly

I must not have been clear enough in my explination - I was referring to blank strap products - Some leatherworkers here may want to just buy a pair or two of blanks to finish for their own use, maybe a gift or two. Others may want to purchase in bulk to finish and resell on a larger scale. My thought was you could charge 1 price for individual strap blank orders, (retail blank packaging so to speak) and a wholesale price for bulk orders. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks Deb

Thanks to all for the feedback - I plan to click out the various strap patterns I have, with measurements on them, so everyone can see what is what. I have various patterns/sizes that will go with the button covers, as I set those up to be 'universal'.

What I'm interested in mostly is what would most of you consider to be a 'fair' amount for each set of blanks? Bear in mind that I can 'customize' to a degree, as I own a 16" band knife that I can level these if you are interested in making a higher end strap that would be lined and stitched...I would probably upcharge only a buck for leveling the straps to your desired thickness. I'd like a 'range' of what you all consider a fair amount, so I can do a bit of research on my end, and come up with an appropriate amount to charge.

I normally sell my basket stamped spur straps, not lined, but with the stitched button cover, and a nice stainless steel buckle, stitched and riveted in place, for $65.00 per pair. This is a 3/8" long basket, in case you are wondering, sometimes smaller, never larger than this. I can charge more for lined/stitched. Because this is my retail price, and, not knowing how everyone here may feel about what they charge for a retail price, I feel the feedback is important.

Will be posting pix later - stay tuned!

Shelly

There's a guy currently on eBay selling clicked out sets for $15 + shipping. Has a couple of different styles. There was another leathercraft guy a few years ago who used to sell the clicked out parts, to include basic buckles, on eBay for approx $20 if I remember correctly.

Shelly,

We manufacture an item, not leather, in our family business. We sell strictly wholesale and have for 35 years.

I take every movement made to make the product, time it.

Every item of leather plus a percentage for waste, electricity for lighting, insurance, absolutely everything.

Total those costs and realistically figure the number of items you can make in say, 8 hours. Being a family business we figure $25.00 per hour. Now you know how much it costs for each pair of straps.

Take one half of the total costs, add it to the cost, add 10 percent of that total for profit.

That is the way we do it. There are definitely other methods. This has worked for us for 35 years. We are living our fruits of the labor in our beautiful Log Home for the last 16 years and I hope a lot more.

ferg

Thanks for the compliment on the article!!

Edited by 50 years leather

OK Everyone!

Here is the sample page - bear with me, I'm sure I could probably do this with the computer, but, this was 'fast and nasty'!

I will charge $15 per pair, and will include your choice of buckle ends. Button Covers will cost $1 extra per pair. The two pull thru patterns use the simple strap, which can also be used with just a buckle end for a simple pair. They are all measured with length, widths, etc on the straps, and have a reference number or letter with each. The page shows all Chestnut Hermann Oak blank patterns, and we can send these in Russet HO as well.

These can be split to the desired thickness for each customer - no charge. Price Break - $12.50 per pair, when ordering a dozen or more pair per order. No price break on button covers.

Let me know if anyone is interested!

Thanks for your patience and feedback,

Shelly

post-7047-026040600 1313447558_thumb.jpg

Had a question from someone about how the button covers are put on - here are a series of pix for anyone interested. I used the strap that already comes with the buttonhole, etc - you would need to cut your buttonhole first, before stitching on the button cover.

On this series, I've lined the strap with scrap kangaroo - stitched the main strap, trimmed it. Then I will stamp or carve it. Next, apply a little contact glue around the edge of the button cover, and place it where I've previously marked it in - I will usually edge and rub these prior to stitching on - easier. Anyway, you can probably get the general idea of how they work.

I've got the strap finished in the last pic, with the exception of a little oil and sealer, which I will do when the whole set is finished, and do them all at the same time.

Hope this helps anyone that is looking...!

post-7047-069991100 1313542994_thumb.jpg

post-7047-039230400 1313543002_thumb.jpg

post-7047-042040500 1313543012_thumb.jpg

post-7047-045121700 1313543021_thumb.jpg

post-7047-097480800 1313543028_thumb.jpg

post-7047-042942100 1313543036_thumb.jpg

Hey Shelly

great idea is is feasable to send these to an intenational destination (Australia)

the price is great but im not sure what the postage would be

Cheers Adam

Had a question from someone about how the button covers are put on - here are a series of pix for anyone interested. I used the strap that already comes with the buttonhole, etc - you would need to cut your buttonhole first, before stitching on the button cover.

On this series, I've lined the strap with scrap kangaroo - stitched the main strap, trimmed it. Then I will stamp or carve it. Next, apply a little contact glue around the edge of the button cover, and place it where I've previously marked it in - I will usually edge and rub these prior to stitching on - easier. Anyway, you can probably get the general idea of how they work.

I've got the strap finished in the last pic, with the exception of a little oil and sealer, which I will do when the whole set is finished, and do them all at the same time.

Hope this helps anyone that is looking...!

Shelly,

I'm starting a project that requires a specific type of spur strap. What I require is pretty simple: A bib that is at least 8 inches wide. No holes or slits needed. Pretty simple, just the blank.

Also, I'd like to cut and stamp the strap portion myself so all I'd need are strips about a foot long (allowing for some mistakes since I fairly new to tooling) and anywhere from 1, 1 1/8, 1 1/4 inches in width. Also, no holes or slits needed. Best if all 4 pieces come from the same hide.

How much for each set?

Thanks,

Frank Helton

kickinrig@gmail.com

PS: Do you tool by hand or have a large die for each strap? If the latter, I might be interested in getting some pre-stamped.

Are these still available?

Are these still available?

Hi,

Yep, we can still make these up - just let me know which blanks you are interested in, your shipping info, and I will send you a quote for them...

Shelly

Is it possible to get any blank spur straps (both sides)? I love doing the stamping but not real good at cutting and edging the leather. This is the first pair I've ever made but I'm not happy with the edges. Just let me know. Thanks!

Is it possible to get any blank spur straps (both sides)? I love doing the stamping but not real good at cutting and edging the leather. This is the first pair I've ever made but I'm not happy with the edges. Just let me know. Thanks!

I can sell you the blanks - I don't usually do the edges, as this is something I leave for the crafter to do...I would need to know which style you are interested in...I click these out with dies, so the only patterns I have available are what is posted in the pic on the forum...

ML

Shelly,

I'm starting a project that requires a specific type of spur strap. What I require is pretty simple: A bib that is at least 8 inches wide. No holes or slits needed. Pretty simple, just the blank.

Also, I'd like to cut and stamp the strap portion myself so all I'd need are strips about a foot long (allowing for some mistakes since I fairly new to tooling) and anywhere from 1, 1 1/8, 1 1/4 inches in width. Also, no holes or slits needed. Best if all 4 pieces come from the same hide.

How much for each set?

Thanks,

Frank Helton

kickinrig@gmail.com

PS: Do you tool by hand or have a large die for each strap? If the latter, I might be interested in getting some pre-stamped.

The only straps available are what is shown on the diagram I posted to the forum. I have dies to click these out with. I do not use dies to 'stamp' them, as I do all that by hand...

ANYONE INTERESTED IN SPUR STRAP BLANKS! PLEASE EMAIL ME PRIVATELY, RATHER THAN THRU THE FORUM, AS I AM NOT GETTING ALL THE INQUIRIES ABOUT THE SPUR STRAP BLANKS.

My email is: shelly@liggettenterprises.com

Thanks!

Hey Shelly

great idea is is feasable to send these to an intenational destination (Australia)

the price is great but im not sure what the postage would be

Cheers Adam

Postage to Australia is something I would have to calculate after I know what you want...I can put the strap blanks in an international shipping envelope, weigh it, and get a quote for the shipping. Then I will let you know what that cost would be...

Postage to Australia is something I would have to calculate after I know what you want...I can put the strap blanks in an international shipping envelope, weigh it, and get a quote for the shipping. Then I will let you know what that cost would be...

Let me know what you want to order, then I can put that into an international mail envelope, get a qoute for shipping, and let you know...

ANYONE INTERESTED IN SPUR STRAP BLANKS! PLEASE EMAIL ME PRIVATELY, RATHER THAN THRU THE FORUM, AS I AM NOT GETTING ALL THE INQUIRIES ABOUT THE SPUR STRAP BLANKS.

My email is: shelly@liggettenterprises.com

Thanks!

Emailed you

Shelly:

Are you still selling these??? And if so how much????