Sign in to follow this  
DreadPirateRedbeard

Motorhead backpatch finally done

So it's finally done. It's taken me two weeks to get this thing done. But I learned a LOT during the process. The logo looks much darker under normal light. So after all the carving and tooling, I took a chance and mixed a bunch of browns and a couple of other colours from my Eco-Flow dyes. I tested it and liked the look so I covered the whole thing in the mixed dye. Then I ran some USMC black dye over the lettering and logo and painted the areas with a metal flake silver and flat red paint. At first, i mixed hte metal flake silver with the flat red but when I applied it, it looked like pink glitter nail polish so I had to go over it with just the red. Then I ran the USMC black over everything again and wiped it down with a rag soaked in paint thinner which took dye and paint off of some places and left it on other spots. Then I riveted the piece to my jacket. I'm hoping to get some better pictures that show the highlights and such. Please feel free to check it out and give me your constructive criticism.

Backpatch01.jpg

Backpatch02.jpg

post-10475-1243833861_thumb.jpg

post-10475-1243833872_thumb.jpg

So it's finally done. It's taken me two weeks to get this thing done. But I learned a LOT during the process. The logo looks much darker under normal light. So after all the carving and tooling, I took a chance and mixed a bunch of browns and a couple of other colours from my Eco-Flow dyes. I tested it and liked the look so I covered the whole thing in the mixed dye. Then I ran some USMC black dye over the lettering and logo and painted the areas with a metal flake silver and flat red paint. At first, i mixed hte metal flake silver with the flat red but when I applied it, it looked like pink glitter nail polish so I had to go over it with just the red. Then I ran the USMC black over everything again and wiped it down with a rag soaked in paint thinner which took dye and paint off of some places and left it on other spots. Then I riveted the piece to my jacket. I'm hoping to get some better pictures that show the highlights and such. Please feel free to check it out and give me your constructive criticism.

Hey Brother!!!!

That is so kewl!! :You_Rock_Emoticon:

It looks excellent and riveting it to the jacket just made the perfect look!!!

The colouring and the method to get there just shows that it sometime is worth it to get a little creative.

Tom

Edited by TomSwede

Very nice!

I got to see Motorhead at the Whiskey a few years ago when they were inducted into the rock walk in Hollywood. It was great seeing them in such a small venue, I was glad I brought earplugs though.

Very nice!

I got to see Motorhead at the Whiskey a few years ago when they were inducted into the rock walk in Hollywood. It was great seeing them in such a small venue, I was glad I brought earplugs though.

Ha ha I was standing right next to the speaker when Lemmy walked off the stage and left hiss Rickenbaker against the amp creating a 10-20 mins long earpain for all of us brave enough to wait for extranumber...wish I HAD brought earplugs!!!

They measured sound levels that night, it was 116 db!!! A jetplane is 120db....this was Motörheads third time at this stage and they had promised to turn down the volume a bit this time, he he needless to say, they are banned from this stage nowadays, lol

What is worse is that I had a VIP ticket to the afterparty but arrived too late due to drunk friends messing up the cab ride....ah man!!!

Tom

What is worse is that I had a VIP ticket to the afterparty but arrived too late due to drunk friends messing up the cab ride....ah man!!!

Tom

HAHA! Right, I've used that line before too! :cheers:

Nice work on the back panel. Looks killer!

-Andy

Wicked bad! Dig the rivets.

That's wild man. The lettering looks really good too.

Tom

I hope you mean "drunk EX-friend".

Your work is truely inspiring! Great attention to detail everything looks even and spaced out as it would on a motorhead patch. My only concern or thought is what you used to encase the dye against rain dampness etc. I would use the neatlac as it gives an amazing glazed look. Possibly use a silicone or bees wax to repel water? The rivets may rust.. It finally great to see something not Sheridan art!

Well done!!

I like the look the rag treatment gave to the background work. Very creative look!

Dirkin.....

Awesome stuff man....You are a brave soul...I get afraid of attempting large projects and venturing into colors because i get so damned critical of the work i do and dont want to destroy any projects but you just gave me some more hope that sometimes venturing and trying a new avenue does not equate devastation necessarily......

your panel is flippin cool...I know one I wanna do as well but have not due to internal fear......I wanna do a VIC skull.....

Thank you everyone for your kind words, coming from the great artists that you are, it means tons to have positive reviews of my humble works.

They measured sound levels that night, it was 116 db!!! A jetplane is 120db.

Tom

Tom, they've often been labeled as the loudest band in the world. I've seen em 4 or 5 times and they never disappoint. Lemmy is the reason that I play bass. I really suck at it but it entertains me and irritates the neighbors.

Wicked bad! Dig the rivets.

Right on Brian! The rivets were a faster alternative to sewing it on andd I really like the look it makes.

Your work is truly inspiring! Great attention to detail everything looks even and spaced out as it would on a Motorhead patch. My only concern or thought is what you used to encase the dye against rain dampness etc. I would use the neatlac as it gives an amazing glazed look. Possibly use a silicone or bees wax to repel water? The rivets may rust.. It finally great to see something not Sheridan art!

Well done!!

Thanks tat2. the spacing is a result of my cheating using the ol' PC. I downloaded the font that best matched their stuff, used MS Word or some such program to make it what I wanted and printed it out. Then simply put it to tracing film on my handy light box and transferred it to the leather for processing!

I'm glad you mentioned something about waterproofing as I spaced it completely. I'll probably heat up the wax, brush it on and use the blow dryer to set it in and get rid of excess wax. BTW, what's Sheridan art? That's a noob question hehe!

I like the look the rag treatment gave to the background work. Very creative look!

I have been here a month or so now nad just decided to experiment with some of the techniques that I've read about here and prayed that they worked!

Dirkin.....

Awesome stuff man....You are a brave soul...I get afraid of attempting large projects and venturing into colors because i get so damned critical of the work i do and dont want to destroy any projects but you just gave me some more hope that sometimes venturing and trying a new avenue does not equate devastation necessarily......

your panel is flippin cool...I know one I wanna do as well but have not due to internal fear......I wanna do a VIC skull.....

Thanks G. I just say f**k it and dive right in. I was very frustrated during a lot of this project though. For instance, when I combined a nice red with the metal flake silver and it turned out to look like pink f**kin glitter nail polish, I almost tossed it out. But I let the pink crap dry, then applied a couple of coats of just red. When I was finished with the detail paint/dye work, I slathered it all in USMC black and wiped it with a cloth soaked in paint thinner and it became what you see. When I started chain maille in 2000, I was told that I should not do a shirt or any large pieces like armour because a noob could never do something that complicated. I did not only a shirt, but it had a brass inlay of three chevron stripes. My blacksmithing is the same. I have never been taught any of these arts formally. But now I'm building my own coal/coke forge from freebie junk and thrift store parts. I'll be putting some hand hammered steel pieces on the jacket next after the forge is built.

So for any newbies reading this, Have the courage to do whatever project you want to do, big or small. Ask any of these amazing artists on this forum. Compared to their works of art, my stuff is nothing. In just a month on this forum, I've learned so much from these great people. They have a lot to offer and they're some of the nicest people I've never met! :notworthy:

So now I am off to ask a question about some leather I just received and hope for a response or two, then start in on a pair of hardened bracers!