This is a leather flask cover I created for a commission. It is a bit more traditional than I usually do, which presented a pleasant challenge. The whole concept was to create a personal scotch label for the guy. He is part Scottish, so the Irish thistles were a must. He was born in 1983, which explains the Est. Year. The color scheme is partially derived from a bottle of Cairnluish. The red is Golden's artist acrylic Quinacrodone Crimson, a color I highly recommend adding to your color palette. The fine lettering was drawn on, then carefully cut in with a thin, Exacto-style fixed blade.

I really enjoyed producing this piece (I love scotch! Scotch, scotch, scotch. Here it goes down, into my belly! Yum, yum, yum!). The woman who commissioned it was very happy, as was the boy she gave it to. He has since broken up with her and I've half a mind to re-aquire the piece for her, courtesy of a Louisville Slugger. We shall see...

Also, may I add, I highly encourage critique of anything I post. I am all about improving my skill, both construction and design wise. So please, critique away!

ae1b3c161bad97ebb5745a65803602ca.jpg

Edited by ElVaqueroMuerto

Verry cool and very scottish:-)

That is sooooo beautiful. I can't think of a think to critique about it! If I were her, I'd be annoyed at being left after giving such a fine gift.

Oh yeah! Lovely flask sheath!

I could empty a bottle of scotch per week if I could afford it, sadly enough I'm gonna need to cut down consumption very much for a while. It's that expensive :bawling:

I like the way you've been working with the borders and stuff like the thistles coming out of it.

There are many elements in the design so it feels perfectly allright that they wanna come out of the framework but I know from your Firedancers bracers you have an eye for this type of things.

Nice work with the thistle leafs, just the type of dyeing I dread.

Sla'inte mhath

Tom

Oh yeah! Lovely flask sheath!

I could empty a bottle of scotch per week if I could afford it, sadly enough I'm gonna need to cut down consumption very much for a while. It's that expensive :bawling:

I like the way you've been working with the borders and stuff like the thistles coming out of it.

There are many elements in the design so it feels perfectly allright that they wanna come out of the framework but I know from your Firedancers bracers you have an eye for this type of things.

Nice work with the thistle leafs, just the type of dyeing I dread.

Sla'inte mhath

Tom

The thistle leaves were actually relatively simple. First I dyed them Feibing's Green. Then I put Eco Flow Gel Antique Med Brown into the depressed areas. Then I brushed a light green acrylic onto the highlight areas. Then I go and paint all the "cliffs" with the Eco Flow Gel Antique Med Brown. Done.

That really good. I hope the person appreciates it for what it is.

What did you use to finish it up with. Any type of sealers or anything. Thanks

fantastic work! did you carve the letters and were they inverted stamping: or really cool stamps?

That really good. I hope the person appreciates it for what it is. What did you use to finish it up with. Any type of sealers or anything. Thanks
I seal everything with Fiebing's Leather Sheen, a spray leather finish.
fantastic work! did you carve the letters and were they inverted stamping: or really cool stamps?
"Tanner" and "1983" are carved to be raised from the leather. The rest of the lettering is simply cut into the leather and filled with Gel Antique Medium Brown.

pretty piece!!

real nice job on all that small text

the only critique or issue i can see with the flask...is that i don't have on me right now full of scotch :crazy:

darryl

You did an absolutely beautiful job... just beautiful

Critique?! There isn't anything to critique. Excellent job and very cleanly done. I'm impressed with the small lettering being done so well. Great colors too.

I hope she does get it back! LOL

ArtS

Makes me want to say "Och! Can aye have a wee dram?" And then, of course, beam Cap'n Kirk back to the Enterprise.

FANTASTIC carving!

Brent

Ok, so the small letters were cut and filled. However, when I try cutting letters THAT SMALL its quite a bit more sloppy than that! Your letters look perfect. Can you let us know what tools you are using for your tooling...including what blade to cut those small letters? Maybe even post a PIC of the tool(s).

Cheers,

Ryan @ Anvil

www.anvilcustoms.com

www.anvilleather.com

I'm with Ryan. I see guys like Jim Linell, Peter Main and others even doing thier signatures really small, and I have problems doing it big, with a swivel knife. Throw us a bone, ElVaq!

Yep, I can definitely see the mini painter influence in your work. I also have that background, and it's pretty easy to see carved leather as just another medium for the base>wash>drybrush>shade methodology... :)

So, in the interest of constructive criticism, I tried to find anything critique-able. Nope. Flawless. I love the scotch label idea, almost as much as I love scotch!

yeah, a great design. The only flaw is that there's no skull on it...lol jk. I love it. It looks great.

Very cool, super colors. Small lettering I'd have to say I'm with Anvil on this one. When i "attempt" to do small lettering they NEVVVEERRRRR look like that.

Great work. Any chance you can show us how the 2 end come together on the back?