Sign in to follow this  
Jax

Cant Get Photos From Camera

Hi Ive just had windows 7 put on my laptop & now I cant get pictures from my camera onto the laptop, my friend has tried allsorts but all we get is a device not ready message, we have reinstalled the software, uninstalled it & installed again. the camera is an Olympus X-760, only a little point & shoot affair but plenty good enough for what I do, we cant find any mention of it on the Olympus website by the way.

Is there anyway to get it working again just linking it to the laptop or will I have to get a card reader?

Thanks in advance

Jax

Are you sure your laptop doesn't already have a card reader? The last 3 laptops I've had, have had them on board.

BTW, I never install the softwares provided by the camera companies. They almost always take over the picture extensions and when you've got other graphics software... it's a pain.

If you find you have a card reader on board... just put the card in... and when the autoplay pop up happens, choose "open folder to view files" Then I just click and drag the file to my graphic software.

Edited by Sylvia

As far as I know, the Olympus cameras still use the XD memory cards and you'd need to get a card reader. Unless I am incorrect and they have switched to SD cards.

My laptop, and the last several, have an SD card reader built in. For some reason, the newer SDHC cards don't work on mine, and I still end up needing a card reader.

My vote is for the card reader, since the transfer speeds will generally be faster than plugging the camera in to the computer.

Thanks Shtoink, I just think its a pain having to find a reader, get the card out of the camera etc when all I had to do before was plug the camera straight into a usb port, just my opinion.

Sylvia yes my laptop does have a card reader but the card from the camera is a different size, thanks for your help though :)

Thanks Tom but those didn't work either, wish Id stuck with vista now :(

Is this a problem on multiple computers, or only one? If this is happening on multiple computers, using the same cable, then try another cable. Does it still work on other computers running other versions of windows? If it still works on other versions, with the same cable, then cable and camera are still good.

Prove each piece of hardware works before trying any software fixes where they don't seem to be helping.

Tom

Hi Tom, yes it still works on my moms pc which is running vista, haven't tryed it on another with win 7 on yet, already tried other cables & usb ports too. Thanks for the help :)

Thanks for that Beaverslayer will give it a go & let you know what happens.