pete

mylar film- where can I get the OLD stuff?

Does anyone know where I can get the mylar that I got from tandy years ago? It was like the film they sell now but had a coated background that held pencil lead really well and erased cleanly. I have seen posts from saddlemakers here but they order it in large rolls like 20' or so.

Do any of you want to sell me 1-2 yards? That should hole me for awhile. I'll pay shipping if you like.

pete

I have some in the length you need.....i think.....you can have it...i have your addy already...i will send it in a tube.

Edited by King's X

MOST grateful my friend. Is this a great forum or WHAT?!

pete

pete

I appreciate your patience on the check for the videos. My pleasure to return the favor. In the tube and at the post office.

pete

Hi Pete.... it is a great forum! And if you ever find a source for that mylar film, i'd love to know it. I've been hunting for that stuff all over the place, and just can't seem to locate it.

Kevin

Kevin

I called an Architect friend of my in California. He gave me his distributor to do some checking. He was telling me that they sell it with borders, non borders, grid lines, etc. He suggested for my craft that I consider 20,000 of an inch. Will hold up and last. I told him that the word I hear is that you have to buy 200 yard rolls....out of my cost range and that would probably last a life time. Now, if you buy 200 yards and sell it in 10 yard rolls, I think you would not be able to hang on to it.

Let me check it out and forward you any information. thanks for being an awesome retailer/supplier.

Staples office supply has boxes of mylar for drafting. Maybe the stuff you are looking for? I think a lot of office supply places have "art" sections where you can get poster board, illustration board, tracing paper, mylar, etc.

I was in Hobby Lobby saturday and i saw two sizes in rolls located in the Drafting

supplys. Print a coupon from there web site and get 40% off........

I have purchased that stuff at the office supply store and it is not the same. The vellum is about 2.1 mm where as the stuff that I would like and gave to Pete was more like 3.2 mm. Plus, the stuff at the office supply will most likely not withstand any with water. I asked the store employee and they didn't know what I was talking about. Right now, I really like the stuff that I get at Hide crafter and the big plus is that I can print or copy a pattern off my scanner/printer. For now, I will stick with this until I achieve success with my dream paper.

I am sure that there are some if not many professional makers here that do use the heavier drafting vellum, but again they buy it in a bulk roll or because the buy so much they cannot remember the last time they bought it. I did remember meeting a saddle maker at the boot and saddle shop who uses the thicker drafting vellum for making not only their patterns, but drawing their patterns.

The problem with Tandy's stuff is that it is too thin. Nothing against Tandy, but the market they cater to is where I was when I started. As we all progress we seek to find the better tools, better leather and now better drawing tools.

Interesting point: My Arichtect friend asked me why I do not use a drawing/drafting program to do my project. I have thought about doing some thing like this, but I am just a hobbyist who has sold about as many products as I have fingers on one hand. I usually give my stuff away or for a very low cost.

I am considering going to a CAD technical program through the local college just to develop some skills to do this down the line, but not right now.

But thanks.

Sorry to bring up the old post, but....

Check with your local architect/engineering firm. I work for a City government, and our city engineers no longer use the stuff. They just gave me a few rolls of it. They are precut, gridded, and have the firms name on them, but for the price they cant be beat.

I can fit many holster patterns on 1 sheet, or I have also cut them down into notebook size pieces for transferring carving patterns and small stuff.

Once I get it drawn on, I use a clear enamel paint to preserve the drawing. It keeps the lead from transferring to the leather if you reverse it.

I have yet to wear any of it out.

DM

Does anyone know where I can get the mylar that I got from tandy years ago? It was like the film they sell now but had a coated background that held pencil lead really well and erased cleanly. I have seen posts from saddlemakers here but they order it in large rolls like 20' or so.

Do any of you want to sell me 1-2 yards? That should hole me for awhile. I'll pay shipping if you like.

pete

Pete,

I have a quantity of .004 mylar that I used in my Architectural practice it is 'E' size (36" x 48") , but is preprinted with borders and title Block 'toothed' surface one side 'slick' back side. Approx. 34" X 42" clear area for drafting surface. It would be no problem to cut up to any size you need, if you will also look on internet www. dataprint.com is where I used to buy supplies, ALL sizes pre-cut and rolls. I would send a sheet or two if you supply postage and address.

Gerry Richardson (gerry101@Mac.com)

P.S.

Also there is a large number of cheap CAD (computer aided drafting) programs available , (some free or a nominal fee) I use "Vector Works" but thats getting fairly expensive.

Edited by Hagarsez

Hagar, that is exactly the stuff I am using, and it works great for leatherwork. If mine didnt have the grid lines, I would be happier, but they are handy to have at times too.

Thanks for that link.

DM