Sign in to follow this  
Regis

portable machine

I had somewhat hijacked another thread so, I'm moving discussion over here. I asked about portable machine and then went heavier and heavier and want to get back on track. Art had pointed out the Sailrite LSZ to me and it looks like it will fit the need but, I also found 2 Consew portables (CP206R & CP146R) and a local home machine dealer wants to order a Thompson for me. There is a span of several hundred dollars so, I'd like to know if anyone here is using these for lighter leatherwork (up to say 6 oz total). I'd like to be able to carry it to my daughter's home when we stay there for week or so.

I'd appreciate hearing experiences from folks using any of these.

Regis

p.s. I do have a great Artisan for heavy work

Nice thread, Regis.

I'm also interested in such a machine. I called up a shop in California. They said that the CP206R, while all metal construction, would have some difficulty with 138 thread. However, the rep may have said it could do it once the machine is broken in, though that didn't make much sense to me. If I remember correctly, he also said the presser foot lift is about a half inch. Folks at Sailrite said their machine has 3/8" clearance. Perhaps the CP206R is also 3/8".

Ed

I had somewhat hijacked another thread so, I'm moving discussion over here. I asked about portable machine and then went heavier and heavier and want to get back on track. Art had pointed out the Sailrite LSZ to me and it looks like it will fit the need but, I also found 2 Consew portables (CP206R & CP146R) and a local home machine dealer wants to order a Thompson for me. There is a span of several hundred dollars so, I'd like to know if anyone here is using these for lighter leatherwork (up to say 6 oz total). I'd like to be able to carry it to my daughter's home when we stay there for week or so.

I'd appreciate hearing experiences from folks using any of these.

Regis

p.s. I do have a great Artisan for heavy work

I've been using a Thompson PW-400 for a few years.

I wouldn't use it for harness leather, but it has no trouble handling two layers of 5-6oz. Three layers gets tight, but I've done it.

Hi Michael,

How well does your PW handle size 138 thread? 207?

Thanks,

Ed

I've been using a Thompson PW-400 for a few years.

I wouldn't use it for harness leather, but it has no trouble handling two layers of 5-6oz. Three layers gets tight, but I've done it.

The only size recommended in the book is 69. I doubt I'd go bigger then 92. Dunno if the current model (PW-500) is any different in that regard.

It really isn't a harness machine. It's aimed at the upholstery market.

Michael,

Appreciate the info. #69 & #92 will work fine for me. Have you found leather needles in 135X17 or are you using 135X16? Is your machine pretty much standard or did you get heavy hand wheel like Sailrite offers? The PW-500 is a couple hundred $$'s less than Sailrite (that's a whole side plus some liner). Do you use your strckly for leather or do you some other work?

Again thanks,

Regis

The leather needles I'm using are 135/16, with an angled bevel, and I'm very happy with them. The shop I bought the machine from had a pretty good assortment of needles.

I've got the stock wheel on it. A larger one would be nice in that it would be easier to grip, but I've never even wanted more leverage. I use a single-sided foot with it that makes it easier to sew close to the edge and still see what it's doing.

I once put some heavy velvet through it, but 98% of the time I'm using it for suede, nubuck or other chap-weight leathers. This year I might be running heavy canvas through it to make some awnings.

Ed,

I just read the TuffSew site about their 9" straight stitch walking foot machine and they support larger thread like you want.

Here is what it says:

"THREAD

Size: 69 Bonded Nylon Thread Recommended (but will handle 46, 138, and 207 weights"

Here is link: Tuffsew walking foot

Regis (still procrastinating)

Hi Michael,

How well does your PW handle size 138 thread? 207?

Thanks,

Ed

Here's what it also says:

"Heavy materials and multiple layers prove no match for our explosive built-in walking foot."

I don't know if I would have phrased it that way.

Cutting through the crud, the sailrite and the tuffsew use the same casting I think, what they put inside is another story. If I am buying a portable, I will go with the 7" over the 9" it is just smaller and that is what you want, isn't it?

I know the sailrite is a good machine with more canvas oriented features than the tuffsew, like get the leather foot instead of the standard canvas foot, it won't mark as much. The canvas foot is quite agressive, of course, that's what they make grinders for. Sailrite also makes left and right feet. I don't have a machine I haven't taken a file or grinder to for modifications that make life easier, it IS my machine.

You guys are of course doing the guy thing (I know I R one), you're comparing instead of sewing; just buy something and don't look over your shoulder, if it don't work, sell it and get something that does.

Art

Ed,

I just read the TuffSew site about their 9" straight stitch walking foot machine and they support larger thread like you want.

Here is what it says:

"THREAD

Size: 69 Bonded Nylon Thread Recommended (but will handle 46, 138, and 207 weights"

Here is link: Tuffsew walking foot

Regis (still procrastinating)

Art,

Quote: "You guys are of course doing the guy thing (I know I R one), you're comparing instead of sewing; just buy something and don't look over your shoulder, if it don't work, sell it and get something that does."

I like that! :NEWFUNNYPOST: I will order today! Hopefully you won't see it on ebay in 6 weeks.

Regis

Regis,

Get straight with whoever you buy from that if it don't sew what you want it to sew, they will take it back. Sewing machines are really a buyers market.

Art

Art,

Quote: "You guys are of course doing the guy thing (I know I R one), you're comparing instead of sewing; just buy something and don't look over your shoulder, if it don't work, sell it and get something that does."

I like that! :NEWFUNNYPOST: I will order today! Hopefully you won't see it on ebay in 6 weeks.

Regis

I procrastinated and researched toooo long. Here is some interesting updated info.

The Thompson PWZ-500 zigzag is discontinued and no one even answers the factory phone in Lubbock Texas.

The Consew CP146R is out of stock everywhere and "estimated" availability is Oct 2nd

That makes the much higher priced Sailrite LSZ more attractive...for now

Regis

p.s. If you are a dealer of one of the above (Thompson or Consew), contact me for an order

Hi Regis,

Reliable 2000U33 $499

Sailrite LSZ-1 $750

Consew CP146R $499

AlphaSew PWZ-200 $399

Olde Thompson PWZ-500 ???

They are all Zigzag portables 7".

All made in the same factory in China a little south (like in suburb) of Shanghai. Finish a little different for most, some have handles, some have cases, some have portable beds, some have more extensive upgrades but most are bolt-ons. They are all going to work and feed the same.

I think allbrands will have most of them (it will be a drop ship sometimes), sailrite has theirs exclusively, and thompson (or now Olde Thompson) who knows. There is a difference between the Thompson (older model) and the Olde Thompson (newer model, go figure).

Just trying to confuse the average leatherworking male.

Art

I procrastinated and researched toooo long. Here is some interesting updated info.

The Thompson PWZ-500 zigzag is discontinued and no one even answers the factory phone in Lubbock Texas.

The Consew CP146R is out of stock everywhere and "estimated" availability is Oct 2nd

That makes the much higher priced Sailrite LSZ more attractive...for now

Regis

p.s. If you are a dealer of one of the above (Thompson or Consew), contact me for an order

UPDATE - Well, got my Consew CP146R in this afternoon. The book is VERY sparce on threading and oiling but, otherwise the machine looks fine. I've run some test strips and it sews great. Controlling speed will be an issue for me as I really got comfortable with the servo on the Artisan. Practice practice practice. But, it's portable and I can tote with me when I visit family.

Procrastination - complete :biggrin:

I'm looking to get the cp206r in the next few days. Is there any way these machines can be slowed down. It's nice to have a machine where the needles don't cost a buck a piece or more.

I'm hoping to be able to run 138 in mine, but I can settle for 92 or 115 nylon.

there is an alphasew industrial walking foot machine pw200 about to sell for $200 on ebay, auction ending in about four hours with no bids.

This machine seems to be very similar to the Consew cp206r we discussed here a while ago. no zig zag on this machine.

Ed