Sign in to follow this  
Dallas Cowboy

Good Quality Hand Tools

I am new here and new to leather working. I am a blacksmith by trade and am actually looking for a new hobby. I have always had custom leather pieces and have been wanting to try my hand at this trade. I am wanting to get into making belts, chaps, and holsters as a hobby.

With this being said, i have always bought quality tools over starter type of tools. I believe in the old saying you get what you pay for. SO i am looking at buying my tools (Knives, stamps, mauls, punches etc....). I have looked at Tandy's site but i was wondering if those are quality tools or not. I want to buy tools that will last and are good quality and not stuff that is junk. Beginners sets from places like Tandy make me nervous.

So can someone line a newbee out here with some quality places to order from and some top notch name brands. Thanks a ton, DC

Check out Barry King tools, especially the stamps. He is an advertiser on this forum, The tools are probably three times higher than Tandy, but I will guarantee they are a quality tool. You just have to decide how serious you are and willing to go with the good stuff to start out with. I understand your concerns.

Terry

Thank you for the reply. I will probably never make a living doing this and will just piddle with it, but i still buy quality tools even at higher prices. SO i will check him out. Thank you.

Hi Dallas

With you being a blacksmith... can you make tools and buckles and such?

I agree with the others on Barry King. Well made Quality tools that aren't too expensive for the most part and they take good care of the customer.

One serious set of beginer tools is Gomph-Hackbarth. I have Lonni's set and they are super. There are many other good makers, noted on this forum, so just "search" and you'l find what you seek. Todays Tandy is for the hobby-est with no idea of quality or value.

Just my thoughts.

Kevin

Hi Dallas

With you being a blacksmith... can you make tools and buckles and such?

I agree with the others on Barry King. Well made Quality tools that aren't too expensive for the most part and they take good care of the customer.

slyvia-Yeah i can make a few tools Buckles are much harder to get uniform without a press or a break. More of a silversmiths area instead of a blacksmith. Unfortunately since i moved to Dallas a few years ago i don't havre a blacksmithing shop any longer. I still tinker with some small stuff but thats about it.

Also check out Clay Miller out of Temple. Been ordering a bunch of bevelers from him that I'm real happy with.

Edited by Santo