Sign in to follow this  
youngzigger

Hello From Stoke

Thats Stoke on Trent in the UK by the way.

Been fascinated in leather repairs and small items but never took it any further. A few weeks ago happened upon this forum and decided to do something about it. bought a cheap hide from Le Prevo in England along with a couple of Books by Al Stohlman. I'm hooked been on e bay and bought myself an old head knife and a strap cutter seemed like a bargain. More interested in hand stitching at the moment as space is limited at home, looking to make some holders for my mobile phone, cellphone? also I have a couple of basset hounds and am hoping to make leads/collars for them. Could anyone help with the conversion of weights/thicknesses of leathers US seems to be in oz's whereas over here its measured in millimetres thick

Anyhow sorry to ramble looking forward to dabbling.

Sounds like you are on the right track.......Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for that

Think I may have answered my own question

In some parts of the world, top-grain thicknesses are described using weight units of ounces. Although the statement is in ounces only, it is an abbreviation of ounces per square foot. The thickness value can be obtained by the conversion: 1 oz/ft² = 1/64 inch (0.4 mm).

Hence, leather described as 7 to 8 oz is 7/64 to 8/64 inches (2.8 to 3.2 mm) thick.

Found whilst browsing

Could anyone help with the conversion of weights/thicknesses of leathers US seems to be in oz's whereas over here its measured in millimetres thick.

Hi, I think this chart is what you need...And Welcome to the wonderful world of leather :-)

post-5624-060298700 1303708875_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum Zigger; I'm from a bit North of you near Glasgow and strangely enough also have a couple of Basset Hounds!

Nice friendly bunch on here and so much to see and learn about.

Thanks Tina that is exactly what I needed

Welcome to the forum Zigger; I'm from a bit North of you near Glasgow and strangely enough also have a couple of Basset Hounds!

Nice friendly bunch on here and so much to see and learn about.

As you have the hounds you'll realise how much a docile looking dog can pull if it has a mind to