lydian8

Journal/book Cover Edges Help

I've been making small book covers for a little bit, but I haven't found an edge method that makes sense to me other than just sewing the pieces together and burnishing the best that I can. I was hoping for a cleaner look. Eveything about rolled edges and welting that I see doesn't seem to help me around the corners. I really have done a lot of searching and come up with clean ways to bind a book, but I want to cover one. I suppose I could use chip board and make a binding over the book, but that's going to get kind of big and heavy. Any advice would be apperciated.

Lenore

Thank you Tom,

That's great information I'll tuck away for future use, but I'm doing a cover that can be put over an existing book. It needs to be removable. Don't get me wrong, I can make a cover. I was just hoping someone had info on nice, clean edges. I like both fold over and welted edges, but I can't find info on going around the corners.

Lenore

I've done just a simple slip-on cover like this and laced the edges. This album had a hard cover, so no additional rigidity required.

post-16698-0-57493900-1414255802_thumb.j

Are you looking at covering a hard cover or soft cover book?

Tom

I do like several lace stitches, but I was hoping for a sleaker look. It's a hard cover and needs no additional stiffening. Maybe what I want to do is something no one does. I'm not sure. Maybe no one has figured out 90°angles for welting or rolled edges. I suppose I could just glue a rolled edge, but that doesn't seem very sturdy.

Lenore

The welt doesn't need to extend around the spine of the book. Just go as far as the edge of the inside pockets. Though I haven't used a welt on a book cover, it would look nice and keep the outside flatter.

Tom