Nighthawk

Gift For My Parents For Their 40Th Wedding Anniversary!

My parents are celebrating their 40th on the 21st of this month. They are having a second wedding, and asked me to "take care of" the centerpieces for the reception. This is what I came up with:

mat and coasters for the candle holders

74571_1740555437410_1344395918_1869485_7562459_n.jpg

149182_1740555997424_1344395918_1869487_6518104_n.jpg

Detail of the coaster

154815_1740555837420_1344395918_1869486_1113276_n.jpg

The candle holders, hand painted by my friend and business partner Jaime Manlett.

154408_1740558517487_1344395918_1869490_7927291_n.jpg

Detail of how the knotwork will show through the bowl. The bowl gets filled with water, with 2 floating heart shaped candles in it- one red, one white. (A note- I'm sure the critique I will recieve is that I should have made the big mat diamond shaped to flow better with the smaller candle holders. I thought of that after I put the whole thing together... Live and learn, I guess!)

155854_1740558797494_1344395918_1869491_4857991_n.jpg

76869_1740559117502_1344395918_1869492_1705523_n.jpg

Hope they like it!! I'm pretty proud of it. I love the way the cross turned out!!

EDIT- The red is Feibings Ox Blood, at the suggestion of bud4766. Thanks, man! I love it!!

Edited by Nighthawk

Good job, dude....lookin' good..:)

Very nice work you have there! I really like the colors you used and how they project through the glass.

On a side note: It is interesting what I learned about what tools others crafts people use. These are great! A water bottle with a pump or the rolling pin (in case my kids bother me). I also tool barefoot occasionally.

thanks for sharing!

Very nice work you have there! I really like the colors you used and how they project through the glass.

On a side note: It is interesting what I learned about what tools others crafts people use. These are great! A water bottle with a pump or the rolling pin (in case my kids bother me). I also tool barefoot occasionally.

thanks for sharing!

Yeah, it's funny that my foot got in that picture! You see, the screen on my camera is busted, so while others use point and shoot cameras, I use a point and hope! I usually tool barefoot, and I did it shortly after I got up this morning, so I just wrapped my feet up in my fleece for warmth. My Scottish friends call me Redshanks.

So- onto your critique! I like how they project through the glass too, especially on the smaller ones! I LOVE how the glass distorts part of the knotwork, and not the rest. That was an unexpected and pleasant surprise. However, with the bigger bowl... I think I may get a little easel, a mirror, and stand the mat up on the easel behind the bowl and let the light from the candle play on the cross. I haven't decided... That was an idea tossed out to me from someone on another board.

And by the way- Doug Pinnick is a prog bass MONSTER!!

Edited by Nighthawk

Friggin Niiiiice!

Thanks! You know... I was thinking about dying the border knots green... The more I look at it, the more I wish I had. Oh well. As I've said- live and learn!

Oh yeah- and Kings X, I meant to tell you that I use the rolling pin for the edges after I burnish them. I have a burnishing wheel attached to a power drill, and while that setup gets a really smooth edge, it also builds up a little bit of a lip that can fray once it dries. I just give it a quick roll with the pin and that pushes it back down. The pump spray bottle is actually for two things- to keep my leather damp when I'm tooling it, and to chase away my kids and my cats! One of my cats has spilled not one, but two (2!!) bottles of USMC black! Darned cat...

From the title I thought you were going to say that you finally moved out :P

From the title I thought you were going to say that you finally moved out :P

:blahblahblah: Har har har.