Hi! I read an interesting study on using reactive dye usually used on textiles that were tried out on leather. Usually reactive dyes are used on silk, polyamid, and selulose wich reacts with the help of chemicals on textiles.

Any way, this study tried out reactive dyes on rawhide using a chemical named trinatriumphosphate, which is an alchaline. Now, of course I got interested, having used acetone based colors (Narvi), which tend to be costly compared to the ones the study had.

I´m curious, has anyone tried anything of the sort? The study clamed that the results were good, the pigments stayed on the surface and since the colour whent through the surface of the leather, instead of staying on top, the leather was softer after drying.

I tried out a few of the colors and Im still testing them out, since my trials have not totally stayed on the leather. I dont know if my porportions are wrong, but the pigments seem to run off when I wet the leather again. Also the mixture has to be hot.

Heres the recipie I tried; 2ml. reactive dye + 1 dl.boiling water + 1,5g trinatriumphosphate = gives you around 1 dl. of color liquid. You can use the liquid after its cooled of to 50 degrees celsius. The study also recomended that the drying time was 2 days.

OK. I´m really exited on getting good results on this color since its a lot cheaper than the ones Im using now, but, so far the colours have not been bright enough and havent stuck well enough. If you have any experience on the matter, I´d really appriciate further knowledge!

Hi! I read an interesting study on using reactive dye usually used on textiles that were tried out on leather. Usually reactive dyes are used on silk, polyamid, and selulose wich reacts with the help of chemicals on textiles.

Any way, this study tried out reactive dyes on rawhide using a chemical named trinatriumphosphate, which is an alchaline. Now, of course I got interested, having used acetone based colors (Narvi), which tend to be costly compared to the ones the study had.

I´m curious, has anyone tried anything of the sort? The study clamed that the results were good, the pigments stayed on the surface and since the colour whent through the surface of the leather, instead of staying on top, the leather was softer after drying.

I tried out a few of the colors and Im still testing them out, since my trials have not totally stayed on the leather. I dont know if my porportions are wrong, but the pigments seem to run off when I wet the leather again. Also the mixture has to be hot.

Heres the recipie I tried; 2ml. reactive dye + 1 dl.boiling water + 1,5g trinatriumphosphate = gives you around 1 dl. of color liquid. You can use the liquid after its cooled of to 50 degrees celsius. The study also recomended that the drying time was 2 days.

OK. I´m really exited on getting good results on this color since its a lot cheaper than the ones Im using now, but, so far the colours have not been bright enough and havent stuck well enough. If you have any experience on the matter, I´d really appriciate further knowledge!

Hi:

I use fiber reactive dyes for tie dying natural plant based fibers. From what I understand, protein based fibers like silk, wool and in this case leather requires an ACID based dye in order for it to "strike" through and stay. It is a "hot dye" method which I am not sure it would be wise on some leathers like Veg tanned.

I would change your formulation for your next test to a mild acid, like white vinegar or citric acid. Make a dilute dye, too much pigment in suspension could be the source of your wash out. (even on cotton there is a LOT of wash out with fiber reactive dyes.)

You can learn a lot at http://www.dharmatrading.com

http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/9236231-AA.shtml