OdinUK

My First Website

Hi All, In November last year I learnt how to set up a website. This is my first attempt and after seeing some of yours, its pretty basic, but it does what it was intended to do. I wanted somewhere where I could display my pictures and have a point of contact. As I learn more about web design, taking better photos and editing images, I'll update it. the URL is

www.lordofleather.com

The name is a little 'tongue in cheek' after one of my nick names ;)

Any constructive criticism would be welcome. I plan on changing the font used and resizing the text but Id like to keep the 'Old London' font for the menu items.

Something else I considered is to replace the main logo with a picture of a real tooled version of it. Let me know what you think.

great job. I like it. nice simple layout and eye pleasing colors. The links are great.. I have it bookmarked.

Jon

Thanks Jon, Im working on widening my portfolio. Im making a few guitar straps and learning to make tooled bike seats at the moment. Ive learnt a lot but I feel as though Im just scratching the surface of what I would like to do.

Paul, looks really good. Clean, easy to navigate and reminded me mine needs a ton of work :-) Your products really are nice. Cheryl

Really nice job.

You might want to put one of those "like me on facebook" buttons on there too.

Thanks Cheryl and Sylvia.

@Sylvia, I dont use facebook so I dont think I can do that thing you said. I refuse to use any of these social networking other than linked in, I use that for my day job. Most of my friends are on facebook but I dont see the point of it, I just call, text or email them if I need to get hold of anyone. Ive seen how much time they spend on there and dont want to become like that! I guess Im anti-facebook! :)

Im aiming to keep my website simple and to the point. I'll add more sections as I make more items.

Smart move time wise, I wish I had the time back I wasted on facebook in the past. Never go anymore, but my voc counselor recommended I open a business page on there and I did but I never go to it or update it. I have a facebook button so people can 'like me' on facebook. I'll be honest with you Paul, I don't give a s**t if they like me or not, buy or move on, LOL. You motivated me to put my 'about' page back last night and I took a lot of little crap off, all of the prices, uploaded newer pics to my products page, and said 'drop me a line.' I don't bite, and I'm not high pressure. I talked a girl out of buying something yesterday I knew she didn't need and I was afraid she really couldn't afford it. People can write me all day and I'll answer them whether they buy or not. I like when something sells but I'm not going to hunt them down with a sales pitch if they email :-) So yours is wonderful and you were also motivating. So thanks Paul, Cheryl

I was having a similar converstion about a different subject on another forum. Someone suggested having a like or dislike button on threads or comments. I said that I dont give a S**t if they like or dislike me or my work. I guess many people use it but its not for me Im afraid.

Saying that, I can see how facebook may help a business but I just dont want to be sepending my time on it. Id rather be doing something else, For the same reason I choose not to have a telly. Im not anti technology, Im an electronics and microwave engineer by day! :)

Cheryl, Im glad it promped you to update your site, Ill take a look at it.

Edited by OdinUK

Thanks. I did it because my voc counselor thought it made good business sense but he's not someone who used to waste their whole day there. And I don't want to be there day in and day out. I opened it, it's free, and put pictures that were current then and have never been back to it I don't think. I got a notice (it'll NEVER end I don't think) that one of my friends had a BD coming up this week. I opened the email and didn't have a clue who the person was. These people are NOT my friends. some day I'll figure out how to quit receiving them but I've been lazy and just delete the stuff. Again thanks for getting my butt in gear last night and getting my site up to date, and looks like I need to check it again because of internet issues :-) Cheryl

Any constructive criticism would be welcome. I plan on changing the font used and resizing the text but Id like to keep the 'Old London' font for the menu items.

To get away from the Facebook cr*p...

It's looking good, I'd keep the 'Old London' too.

Something else I considered is to replace the main logo with a picture of a real tooled version of it. Let me know what you think.

And a tooled version of your logo is an excellent idea specool.gif

Saying that, I can see how facebook may help a business but I just dont want to be sepending my time on it.

Fair enough. I resisted facebook for years and was flabbergasted that all my favorite "coupon" sites forced me to "like" in order go get a dang coupon for something I needed.

Then we had grandkids in Alaska... and I realize I was missing out on some of the smallest things... like pictures... talent show videos... kooky things little kids do.

So I reluctantly joined.

Nice work, but wen i in one of the gallery, unfortunately, not able to return back to Home. The only thing that seemed to me a little bit disturbing. And red color ven push the button at gallery.

Nice work, but wen i in one of the gallery, unfortunately, not able to return back to Home. The only thing that seemed to me a little bit disturbing. And red color ven push the button at gallery.

Thanks for your comment. When a gallery is opened, it opens in another browser tab, the original page is still open, so you can just select the other tab to go back to the main site. Or at least thats how it should work. Can you tell me if another tab opened? Thanks.

Thanks for your comment. When a gallery is opened, it opens in another browser tab, the original page is still open, so you can just select the other tab to go back to the main site. Or at least thats how it should work. Can you tell me if another tab opened? Thanks.

Yes, is opens another tab, maybe it's just my problem, but I prefer that opens on the same page :) And recommend to step up to the gallery is only one. Because some people are just lazy and is also faster on view gallery. But of course these are just my thoughts!

Sign of the Hammer Patch 6 -very nice colors!

Edited by Zigmars

Yes, is opens another tab, maybe it's just my problem, but I prefer that opens on the same page :) And recommend to step up to the gallery is only one. Because some people are just lazy and is also faster on view gallery. But of course these are just my thoughts!

Sign of the Hammer Patch 6 -very nice colors!

Thanks for your comments. I may use a different picture gallery when I make any big changes to the site in the future. If I were to change it now, Id have to add some html to each gallery. Unless anyone knows of a better way to do it??

you could look into using those "light box" codes. I've not done so myself as I've strayed away from doing websites.... and most of the web in general... but they seem to be the nicer looking galleries these days, and probably fairly simple to use.

Great job on your first website. I remember building our first company website in html back in 2000 and we've gone through many transformations and updates since then.

Someone mentioned that you should look into a different gallery option and I'd have to agree. In order to view one of your products a customer has to click on the gallery link, open another browser tab, then click again to enlarge an image. I think this should be simplified, customers love looking at photos but don't love having to click around too much.

You should put some thumbnail photos on the belts page for example and clicking should enlarge the photo or pop up a gallery that one could scroll through. If you're willing to learn a little bit of code, Lightbox is a simple and very popular gallery.

http://leandrovieira.com/projects/jquery/lightbox/

I recommend you put a phone number on your main page as well.

Keep up the good work!

Ron

Thanks for the tips on the lightbox gallery. It is something that I have in mind, but have yet to learn.

I will check the link that you posted, I hope its not too time consuming to change it.

Many thanks.

Just a quick update, Ive started looking into using the lightbox code to display pictures. I expect it will be a while before I get to try it but Ill just save a new copy of my website on my PC and play around with that in case I mess something up. Thanks again for the advice.

Its nice and simple, and loads quickly which is very important these days!

A couple of points that struck me - first you have added a Links button that does nothing - if you don't want to give links then better to remove it altogether.

The other point that really bugged me was clicking the gallery buttons doesnt take me to a gallery but to another page with another button to get to the gallery - why have that extra step?

I think that as people get more used to using the web, they become less tolerant of un-necessary pages. The less clicks you have to go through to reach the intended info, the better.

You'll find that your website will become an evolving thing...the more you tinker, the more you will enhance and improve it. I have built one for my wife, and every year we try to improve how it works.. I hate doing it, but the improvements make it all worth while.

I'm not sure how you are coding the site, but if like me you hate coding, there are some excellent software applications that allow you concentrate on the creative whilst the coding is taken care of in the background. I can't recommend any pc software, as i use Apples iWeb - not the most up to date software, but its served me well for years!

If you want to integrate your gallery into your website, and if you're using WordPress for your blog/site, I highly recommend the "Photocrati" WordPress theme (no affiliation). It costs about $80, but gives you precise control and allows you to use interesting flash transitions and slideshows. Also, the photos are uploaded to your own server so you're not relying on someone else's service.

I've started playing with it on my own site (still under construction), so you can see how some of the default gallery options look with leather ;)SalukiFeathers