TomBanwell

Anothe top hat

Since Froghunter posted his top hat I thought I'd show mine. Completely different. Black. Steampunk. Grommets and leather lace. Made of 3-4 oz veg tan.

0727tophatangle.jpg

Very cool, kind of a sinister look to it.

I like it!!

Very ominous looking top hat. It reminds me of something you would read about in a Charles Dickens novel. I love it!

love this design tom....my favorite!!!

I really like looking at the amazing, creative, down right odd stuff you come up with. Thank you for sharing.

Here is the pattern I used to make my top hat. This is for a size large. The width of the crown should measure 23.8". The crown has four optional darts (butt seamed), which give it the modified hourglass shape. The crown joins at the back with a butt seam. If you add a seam allowance you can convert it to an overlap seam and sew it on a machine. The wavy bottom gives the brim the nice shape of down in the front and back and up at the sides. The dotted line on the brim is where I folded the edge in over a wire. See the diagram at the lower right for construction details. First, sew the crown to itself. Then stitch on the top and turn inside out. Then pull the brim down over the crown and glue, then stitch. Lastly sew the brim outer edge over a wire. Hope this all makes sense. Good luck!

0803tophatpattern.jpg

Tom,

Very cool hat!!!! You have really "embraced" the Steampunk look in some of your art. :cheers:

Thank you for posting the pattern, very nice of you so those of us "artisically challenged" can try!

Rick J.

I looked it up about a year ago but here it is for others that may not know what Steampunk is,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk

Cool, hope slash doesn't want it back, LOL

Love this hat Tom!! I saw Froghunter and the others too and they all look great but I really like the "sinister" and "ominous" look on this one.

Nice job :notworthy:

Tom

Tom

That is one cool hat.... and hope you don't mind my saying so

but it deffinately looks like your style.

JoAnn

Tom, thanks for sharing your pattern. I am always amazed at the generosity of the members here on LW.

Do I detect the hint of a basque hidden in this hat, Tom?

Ray

One of the best top hat I ever seen.

With a worn english cloak XVII century and mean looking cane you'll be the main attraction at a convention.

Do I detect the hint of a basque hidden in this hat, Tom?

Ray

Indeed, corsets are quite popular with the ladies of steampunk, and the lacing on the hat reflects this.

:rolleyes:

Another amazing piece Tom! Thanks for the diagram on the assembly too. It looks very finished doing it that way, especially the top connecting to the crown. Nice and rolled over. Thanks for the inspiration!

Cheers,

Andy

Never mind, I actually went back and read the post

extremely cool

I think one would look good with some of your faux brass steampunk devices attached.

Edited by fishguy

This looks great!!!

Art

I love your tophat! My husband and I just love your work. I saved your pattern and instructions, when I get brave I will try to make one. :You_Rock_Emoticon:

beautiful lacing job!

The whole hat is just incredible

I cant wait to try one, i just picked up some more dyes ;)

This is cool.

Picking up on the Guns n Roses reference, it kind of looks like "Slash meets Jack the Ripper". How can you go wrong with that?

:)

~Ken

I love that hat, I hope I become competent enought to make one someday. Exellent work!

GAH !! another excellent top hat !!!!!!!!!!! sweeeeeeeeettttttttttt!!!!!!!!!

you all are making me drool with these hats they are most excellent in more words than i can think of, keep up the excellent work, i'm hoping one day i'll be able to make such works as these, until then i'll keep drooling at the masters at hand.

maddhatter

This is soooo nice that I'm having a hard time expressing how much I like it. Not to mention the ideas running through my head.

Thank you so much for the pic and layout.