Talonzz

Ghillies for my Wife...

While looking for garb for our Ren Fest here in Minnesota my wife fell in love with these, but hated the price... I decided I'd give it a try myself... I Ordered some elk leather and started prototyping, first in canvas, then deer leather and tried to figure them out by looking at the photos on the website , a bit of trial and error and finally... Success!!! we think... She loves them.

xfrontb.th.jpg rosettea.th.jpg

finfrontc.th.jpg finfrontb.th.jpg

finfronta.th.jpg finbacka.th.jpg

Great job! I'd be afraid to wear them in some faire (as in not FAIR) weather!

Such a cool design. Love it.

As long as your wife loves them, they are a success. You might want to add another layer of leather to the soles as the deer leather will probably wear through pretty quickly.

As long as your wife loves them, they are a success. You might want to add another layer of leather to the soles as the deer leather will probably wear through pretty quickly.

Thanks to all of you for such kind words.

I should have told you all this in the original post... I made the finished pair out of a nice, thick, Moccasin weight, Elk Leather.

nice work , i wonder if you can sand me a copy of your pattern for those, i woud like to make a pair but in moose skin, i have a friend that make moccasin in that

Thanks to all of you for such kind words.

I should have told you all this in the original post... I made the finished pair out of a nice, thick, Moccasin weight, Elk Leather.

nice work , i wonder if you can sand me a copy of your pattern for those, i woud like to make a pair but in moose skin, i have a friend that make moccasin in that

I agree that a shared pattern would be nice. Ever since the nice re-enactment boots I made for myself got moldy I've been wanting to make a new pair, but not the ones I made before. They were a pain to make.

While looking for garb for our Ren Fest here in Minnesota my wife fell in love with these, but hated the price... I decided I'd give it a try myself... I Ordered some elk leather and started prototyping, first in canvas, then deer leather and tried to figure them out by looking at the photos on the website , a bit of trial and error and finally... Success!!! we think... She loves them.

xfrontb.th.jpg rosettea.th.jpg

finfrontc.th.jpg finfrontb.th.jpg

finfronta.th.jpg finbacka.th.jpg

You did a really good job on those. I saw some at a recent Scottish Festival here in TX and want to make some for my wife and myself to wear with our Scottish clothes. They put a sole on theirs made of a composite shoe sole. I understand the prices. The high tops wear $250-$275 a pair and nothing special.

Best regards,

John aka "Indy"

Great Work!!

I would also love to see a pattern for these.

I'm new on the boards here, and from Minnesota too. I get a lot of inspiration from our Ren Fest, but never want to pay the prices too. I think I'm on the bandwagon to request a pattern if you would be ever so kind. And where abouts in MN are you?

I'm new on the boards here, and from Minnesota too. I get a lot of inspiration from our Ren Fest, but never want to pay the prices too. I think I'm on the bandwagon to request a pattern if you would be ever so kind. And where abouts in MN are you?

I recently went back to work and have been VERY busy... I do still plan on putting together a pattern that I can email to those that would like it. Please be patient... Maybe those who would like a pattern could message me your e-mail address so I can send the pattern and instructions directly. Let me know what file format would work best for you, I can export just about anything.

Missy: I am about an hour north of the cities on Hwy 169 in Milaca. Welcome to the boards ;-)

Was a pattern ever completed? Even for sale?

If you go to this link http://earthandliving.blogspot.com/search/label/tutorials and scroll to the bottom, there is a tutorial for the short version.

These are gorgeous!! I'm just getting started in leatherwork and these are an inspiration. Thanks for sharing:)

http://www.yourfantasycostume.com/tutorials-and-patterns/tutorial-making-iron-age-viking-irish-ghillies-leather-shoes Here is a link to a tutorial I used a while back. It would have been great if I used the correct leather. I think mine was a tad thick, but they fit perfectly. They just didn't feel so good LOL