I'm skimming the Internet for information on mixing colors to get the exact color decided. I'm working on putting in an order with LCI in TExas for self burnishing edge finish.

I'll be sending LCI swatches from Wickett & Craig (I'll post pics of the color swatches later) : Black, Dark brown, burgundy, medium brown, chestnut, and tan. If they have these colors in stock, no problem. If not, they will customize the color formula for an extra $35, which they will then have in stock for future orders.

My question is this. I'm thinking about getting all the colors I would need to mix my own browns and blacks. This might be too vague a question, but I'm wondering how many primary, secondary, and tertiary colors I'd need to mix for my own browns, blacks, tan, beiges?

I may just get all the premixed colors I need from LCI, as well as the individual colors for mixing.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ed

Edited by esantoro

I'm skimming the Internet for information on mixing colors to get the exact color decided. I'm working on putting in an order with LCI in TExas for self burnishing edge finish.

I'll be sending LCI swatches from Wickett & Craig (I'll post pics of the color swatches later) : Black, Dark brown, burgundy, medium brown, chestnut, and tan. If they have these colors in stock, no problem. If not, they will customize the color formula for an extra $35, which they will then have in stock for future orders.

My question is this. I'm thinking about getting all the colors I would need to mix my own browns and blacks. This might be too vague a question, but I'm wondering how many primary, secondary, and tertiary colors I'd need to mix for my own browns, blacks, tan, beiges?

I may just get all the premixed colors I need from LCI, as well as the individual colors for mixing.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ed

Ed,

They will be building the colors from a set of pigments you would want to ask for one of each of thier base colors. Theoretically You would need Blue, Yellow, Green and Red along with Black and White. When you are dealing with paint you are opperating in subtractive color system. In other words the paint is absorbing all colors you don't see and reflecting the ones you do. Realistically you will need more colors than that. Do a search for Wilhelm Ostwald color theory to learn more.

David Genadek

Ed,

They will be building the colors from a set of pigments you would want to ask for one of each of thier base colors. Theoretically You would need Blue, Yellow, Green and Red along with Black and White. When you are dealing with paint you are opperating in subtractive color system. In other words the paint is absorbing all colors you don't see and reflecting the ones you do. Realistically you will need more colors than that. Do a search for Wilhelm Ostwald color theory to learn more.

David Genadek

Thanks, David. This will help in asking LCI for exactly what I want.

ed

Ed,

I wonder if I'm missing the point of what you're trying to do....it sounds like you want to pay someone $35 a shot to create several one-of-a-kind edge color formulas. Am I understanding correctly? If I am, why would you want to do such a thing?

Ed,

I wonder if I'm missing the point of what you're trying to do....it sounds like you want to pay someone $35 a shot to create several one-of-a-kind edge color formulas. Am I understanding correctly? If I am, why would you want to do such a thing?

Hi Dale,

LCI probably has hundreds if not thousands of color formulas already made up. If one of their colors already matches the swatches I send in, the one-time $35 custom color formula fee will not be necessary. I tried to get them to tell me what similar colors they already have, but they wouldn't budge. They wanted me to send in the swatches.

Ed

But why have so many colors in edge coat?

But why have so many colors in edge coat?

I was thinking the same thing and just wanted to get black and a few different shades of brown, but the folks at LCI insisted I send swatches. Fiebings Reliable burnishing wax ink seems to have this kind of color selection, which I would also like to try.

Ed